Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Theme Night - Britain Fish and Chips

Posted by   + Show Post

To break up the dinner monotony, I like to throw theme nights at my house. It's really not as intensive as it sounds, but rather a fun way to spice up an evening at home. Most recently, we had a UK or Great Britain Night. And what did I make? Fish and Chips! It was so easy, and so tasty. Here's how I did it.

I breaded and baked my fish instead of frying. I know, how could I? But it still tasted delicious and came out golden brown on the outside and moist on the inside. As for the chips, I sliced and peeled russet potatoes into fries. You could always make them thick cut, if that's what your family likes best. Those, I fried. Come on? I could not skimp there. Once done, I laid them out on paper towels to get the excess oil off. I salted them, then served hot along side with the fish and a bit of tater sauce for dipping.

To complete the night, I got a Union Jack tablecloth from a party store, and I served our fish and chips in a basket on top of real newspaper. How's that for authentic?

Moms, what kind of theme night would you throw?

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Mexican.  Its the best.

mom2knl
by Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

In the past we have done 'School Lunch Menu' nights....

Cheese Zombies and tomato soup, chicken nuggets and mac and cheese and mini corn dogs with fries were some of the favorites...  :)

toomanypoodles
by on Oct. 18, 2011 at 4:31 AM

This is about the only type of fish I will eat....with malt vinegar splashed on it. 

butterfly-jo
by on Oct. 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

i like mexican night..i love tacos and all kinds of mexican food...so i think that would be my fave theme.  however, this is pretty cool.  i have never tried to bread/bake my own fish....so i think i might have to try that.

Marj171
by Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM

This sounds great.  I never really thought of having a theme night, might try it soon.  Thanks for the idea!

Cafe AmyB
by Head Admin on Oct. 18, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Yum, I love fish and chips.  I lived in Scotland as a child and there's nothing quite like it. With vinegar of course!

carolina_gal
by Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM

We had Chinese night yesterday. Chicken on a stick, stir fried rice and egg rolls.

imadekyle
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM

i love it!! that is a great idea! we do have Mexican night here...often. It's our favorite! I totally love how you did the table cloth and newspaper too...so fun!

marie85
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I love that idea. How fun! 

NAMMYsLadyBug
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 6:59 AM
We have stirred fried chicken, rice, and frozen egg rolls for a Chinese night. I also get some fortune cookies to finish up. Chow mein and/or other crispy noodles in a bowl on the table for a little extra texture. My husband is not a big Chinese carry out fan but he loves this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN