Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Thanksgiving Family Favorites

Posted by   + Show Post

As Thanksgiving approaches, it always reminds me of family favorites and how one Thanksgiving meal greatly differs from the next. When I got married, I knew nothing more than what my family loved to eat on Thanksgiving. Coming from Mexican American descent, I thought nothing of having Spanish rice and beans alongside the standard Thanksgiving fare.  Of course we still had sweet potatoes, stuffing and the like, but the rice and beans were never far behind and neither were tortillas. When I brought my husband to his first Thanksgiving at my house, he thought it was so cool!  I thought it was just so normal.

So, when I had my first Thanksgiving at his house, in Colorado, it was the first time I had ever had green bean casserole (if you can even believe it).  It was also the time I had the best potato side dish of my life. Scalloped, cheddar cheese and bacon potatoes. To say they were delicious would be an understatement. They melted in your mouth and were crispy and gooey all at the same time. Needless to say, they are now a staple of our Thanksgiving dinners now that we have a family of our own. And, yes, I still make Spanish rice.

Moms, what are some of your family favorites for the holidays?

by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-34):
christina f
by Cafemom Blogger on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

you all were completely right! here is the link to the "a new twist on mashed potatoes" copy that has now been updated. there was just a glitch in the posting software. sorry about that ladies. thanks for reading and commenting as always. you guys are the best. http://www.cafemom.com/group/114484/forums/read/15304118/A_New_Twist_on_Mash_Potatoes

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Green bean casserole is my favorite, although I know my youngest daughter won't eat it. Always homemade mashed potatoes and stuffing too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I miss thanksgiving time already :(  My favorites at thanksgiving would have to be the turkey, of course b/c we only have it the end of the year. My grandmoms mac n cheese.

Leelee1008
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I wont eat it either but my DH loves it, so we make it for him

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Green bean casserole is my favorite, although I know my youngest daughter won't eat it. Always homemade mashed potatoes and stuffing too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN