Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

The Perfect Mashed Potatoes - Every Time

Posted by   + Show Post

Mashed potatoes. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them. The gravy would be lonely and the yams would have no one to sit next to on the buffet table. All joking aside, there'd be some pretty disappointed dinner guests if these guys didn't show up to the party.  

Here are a few tips to making the perfect mashed potatoes - every time

Consider using chicken broth instead of cream. It gives certain richness to the dish that is unbeatable (IMHO).

If you're going to use dairy, use the good stuff. I'm talking real butter and whole milk.

Don't forget to season. There's nothing worse than flavorless potatoes. Taste them before you serve them to make sure there's enough salt.

Use a mixer to whip up your potatoes, but be careful not to over whip. Do it just enough to get that light and airy consistence that we all love.

Moms, can you share any other helpful mashed potato tips here?

by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (71-80):
HaileysMommy130
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM
I love mashies!!!! I sometimes use sour cream for extra creamy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Hmmm, chicken broth, gotta try this.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Thanks for posting!

littleleesmom
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Boil the potatos in broth instead of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristianHerbal
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Always warm the milk to avoid cooling the potatoes too much.

prolifealways
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM
We use chicken broth and condensed milk or just a touch of sour cream. Either is great. Also a sprinkle of chives makes for a nice bit of color. I honestly don't think our mashed taters are actually ever the same way twice. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanaylola
by Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM

After boiling put the potatoes through a ricer for really smooth potatoes. Sometimes we like them smooth & sometimes lumpy. Love to leave the red potato skins on. Also enjoy adding mashed cauliflower & melted cheese, either cheddar, farmers, swiss, or velveeta.

kmrtigger
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Once you drain off the water toss them back into the hot kettle an place back on the hot burner(that's off) to dry out the last of the water. That helps keep the potatoes from being mushy.

cstargarner
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I mash mine by hand with a masher and they're usually pretty creamy.  But I also add a little garlic powder (I guess that goes under seasoning.. just saying that I specifically add garlic powder along with the usual salt and pepper)

Hani_Mommy
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM
Leave your milk sit out (room temperature) and stir in slowly when your mashing. It will reduce those little "bumps" you get. Now if you want lumpy mashes potatoes, still do thus, it will help bring consistency to them by not having these little "bumps." I don't like using a mixer, and highly suggest the ol' hand masher. Mixer creates too smooth of a mash potatoe.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)