Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Gearing Up for a Healthy New Year

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

Everyone eats a little too much during the holidays - myself included. There are trays of cookies and delicious holiday favorites around every corner. But, at some point, there comes at time when you have to stop "celebrating" and start eating for your health. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing the matter with a cookie here and there - but everything in moderation right?

The easiest way to get healthy is to stock your kitchen and cabinets with healthy options for your meals. Here are a few dinner staples to keep on hand so that you can whip up your family's favorites, only with fewer calories.

Lettuce and a variety of veggies for fresh salad sides

Lean meats

Brown Rice

Sweet Potatoes and Russets for baking

Olive Oil

Low fat Cheeses

Fat free sour cream

Spices and herbs to add flavor without calories

by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imadekyle
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM
After the holidays, no more cookies!! :) and more time to work out
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM
I'm going to get back into an exercise routine. I'm going to have more vegetables with our meals and have fruit on the table a lot more. I've been lacking lately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supergirl_mommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM
My mom and I talked about doing weight watchers online and get more exercise in. Got that nice FL trip in March to get ready for lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VanBurren
by Beth on Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I'm certainly going to get back on a healthier track....going to have to stock up on some veggies and some 100-calorie snacks for in between meals. 

butterfly-jo
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM

yeah...no more junk after today.  i like to keep lots of fruit stocked that is easy for me and the kids to go to as a snack...like the little orange cuties...my kids eat those up.  and apples..i just got an apple corer...so one motion and it is completely sliced!!  easiest snacks ever.

aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

lol..i had barely any sweets this holiday season..all of my favorites are on my list of foods i cant eat right now :( lol...its funny because according to my doctor, i weigh less now than i did before i got pregnant..and baby is measuring right on schedule :) maybe its time to splurge and get some icecream ;-)

lasombrs
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM
we dont really overeat at the holidays lol. the people who insist on cooking cant so we usually go home very hungry! but we go back to no candy in the home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

We haven't been eating terribly unhealthy during the holidays but we have had a few splurges.  We'll go back to more nutritious meals right away.  I stocked up on veggies before Christmas.

carolina_gal
by Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I wish I loved brown rice. I don't enjoy it.

Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Sounds like there is a lot of resolve to be healthy in this group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN