Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Baked French Fries Go With Everything

Posted by   + Show Post

I rack my brain every week about dinners that everyone will like, and then I thought who doesn't like French fries. I think it goes without saying that they are definitely a family favorite, and a side I rely on regularly to make the rest of the dinner a little bit more palatable. And, I've come to make them in a more healthful way. I bake instead of fry and use olive oil instead of other more fattening oils that have more saturated fats.

Wash and peel your potatoes (whether they're white or sweet), then cut into strips according to your personal preference of thickness.  Add them into a gallon sized freezer bag and then add your olive oil. Seal tightly and shake so you get a good even coating. Spread them out onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle liberally with the seasoning of your choice. I always go simple with cracked black pepper and sea salt.  Pop them in the oven at 425 until they are crispy and golden brown.\

These tasty fries go well with a ton of main dishes including pork chops, burgers (of course), baked chicken, roast beef, and a bunch of others.

Moms, what would you serve along side these baked French fries and what other seasonings would you use to spice them up?

by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
donna1028
by Donna on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

we do baked fries with steak, hamburgers, chicken really any meal can be improved with some yummy baked french fries. I like some pepper and salt along with a little rosemary or cumin. just depends on what they are going with.

liveforever
by Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Quoting elasmimi:

I can never slice raw sweet potatoes, they are so hard. Any tips for this?

I use a very sharp knife. Not a serrated one. I rest the tip of the knife on the cutting board, with the rest of it resting on the potato. Then I put all the pressure on the tip, hold the pressure, and "rock" the knife over the potato. Ive never had any problems this way. I run into more issues if I try and "saw" through it.

Wish2Be
by Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

You can make it yourself or buy it in the store. Out local Publix sells them...they are usually in the frie section or the vegitarian section.

To make them you just :

Peal the eggplant, slice it in strips ( cut them to size ). Then you can dip them in some egg whites (water and olive oil are also options - its just to get the crumbs to stick) ...and then some itallian bread crumbs ( I use the vigo brand ). Then you can bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Or you can fry it for 3-5 minutes.

Quoting OliviaW.:

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting OliviaW.:

I serve them with everything. Sometimes I'll make sweet potato fries instead of regular potato fries.

I really love sweet potatoe fries, but to be honest...my favorite fries are Eggplant Fries !*drools* You have to try them !

What's the recipe? I'll try anything.

CafeMom Tickers
OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Soy burgers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Not "park" cheese.  Dumb auto correct.  That was supposed to be "parm" cheese as in Parmesan.

colman4
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Try putting them in the microwave for a little bit. IT softens them up. I do that with Butternut squash before I peel them.

Quoting elasmimi:

I can never slice raw sweet potatoes, they are so hard. Any tips for this?

goddess99
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Maybe brats or sloppy joes. I likely wouldn't season them more than a pinch of salt.

momkaribg
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Cheeseburgers

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

That looks really good, thanks for sharing!! 

Quoting ZsMommy:

Made this last night using a mix of chipolte seasoned sweet potato fries and regular seasoned fries.I modified the recipe using Tony Chachere's Spice &Herb blend to season turkey burger (instead of ground beef) and used Ragu's Double Cheddar cheese sauce on top

Instead of baked french fries being a side...they were part of the main meal (I made a salad to go with)

1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1/2 an onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 (7 ounce) can diced mild green chiles
1 (15 ounce) can Garacias Nacho Cheese Mexican Cheese Sauce, medium or mild (I used medium)
1 heaping cup shredded chipotle cheddar cheese, or cheddar cheese of your choice
About 1 pound frozen shoe string french fries
A sprinkle of salt for fries

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Get out a 9x13 inch Pyrex pan and a large skillet.Cook the ground beef, onions, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and fresh ground pepper together over medium high heat until no longer pink, Strain off the fat and place the meat mixture back in the pan.Add the chiles and nacho cheese sauce to the pan and stir into the meat. Cook for about four minutes on medium low until combined and warmed through.Pour the meat mixture into the 9x13 inch pan. Spread out and top with shredded cheddar. Top with frozen fries and sprinkle lightly with salt.Bake for 30 minutes.

2010_12170056

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I always have a bag of potatoes on hand! This is one of my go to sides! I will use whatever spice complements my main dish. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)