Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Gluten Free Idea - Old Fashioned Potato Salad

Posted by   + Show Post

More and more I find myself having the need to make gluten free sides and meals for family and friends. I never mind, because I love a challenge - especially in the kitchen. Potatoes are a helpful tool in this task. The following old-fashioned potato salad recipe is a great gluten free side for roasted chicken, grilled hamburger patties, or turkey wraps (in corn tortillas of course).

6 medium potatoes, peeled (2 pounds)

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing

1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)

2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)

4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

1. Heat 1 inch water (salted if desired) to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 30 to 35 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool slightly; cut into cubes.
  2. Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in large glass or plastic bowl. Add potatoes, celery and onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours until chilled.

Moms, what are some of your favorite gluten free recipes?

by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
MyKids_RMyLife
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

This looks super tasty,I have not had Potato Salad in ages

MyKids_RMyLife-Formerly Known As _WC_Mama

LilySlim - (Q2Fn)
toughmom638
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM
This looks delicious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM
I could go for this right now too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threeoconnors
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I have been gluten free for 14 years now and find great recipes by typing Gluten free side dishes (or casseroles, etc.) in the Google search box.  One of my easy ones is gluten free spiral pasta with a little butter and parmesan cheese.  I've used quinoa pasta this way.  I also cook rice noodles and put a little gluten free sechzuan sauce as a side dish.  All fruits and vegetables are gluten free.  It's what you put on them that may contain gluten.  

Kalic0
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I cook only gluten-free because my son is gluten-intolerent and it is easier to remove it all together thendeal with him having fits over someone else getting something he likes but cannot have. However my son also likes crispy/crunchy/chewy and will not eat potatoes unless they are fried somehow (so at least the edges are crispy) or baked french fry style.

That said, I found a great sweet potatoe recipe that most of my family loves (my daughter is the only one who thinks they are too spicey).  

You julianne (cut into long rectangular strips) the sweet potatoes.  These are seasoned with one teaspoon each of black pepper and nutmeg for each medium potato.  In a large bowl add 1 tablespoon of oil per  potato + the seasoning then fold in the strips of sweet potato a little at a time and turn them over until they are evenly covered.

Arrange on a flat baking sheet and bake in the oven at 425 for 8 to 15 minutes (this depends somewhat on the amount of potatoes and how thick the strips end up).

I found that if your potatoes are smaller you will want to use a little less seasoning.  It is actually pretty spicey.

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Mar. 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I don't really know what a gluten free recipe is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)