Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Have you ever strayed from a recipe and discovered a fab new meal? Tell us about it!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

As a mom, you likely have a list of "go-to" dishes that you make for your family each week, right? How often do you switch it up?

We gave 50 moms coupons for Betty Crocker Potatoes and asked them to re-create one of their favorite potato dishes using Betty Crocker Potatoes.  We also asked them to walk us through preparing the meal and to share what their family honestly thought about their new dish. 

Have you ever strayed from a recipe and discovered a fab new meal? Tell us about it!

>< The CafeMom Team

eating

by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
johnny4ever
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Making my tomorrow....will post pics

johnny4ever
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Thank You Cafemom for picking me again as a Cafemom Influencer.I bought:

My Hubby LOVED the Homestyle Creamy Butter over the Scalloped...which really surprised me!He never liked instant potatoes before...but now he likes Homestyle Creamy Butter over regular mashed potatoes.Which certainly makes like easier without washing..peeling..boiling...and mashing!He had them with his favorite of course Meatloaf with Gravy!

I so forgot to take a pic of his plate-sorry!We will defintely buying these in the near future!!! 

johnny4ever
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

BUMP!

scoutfamilyof7
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I love adding ham to my potato dishes especially the juliann potato dishes! My family eats every last bite!

aidensmomma508
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Hey My name is Wendy I was chosen by Cafemom Influencer Program and Betty Crocker to recieve coupons for Betty Crocker Potatoes! I was glad to be chosen as we are  mashed potato lovers :) <3

I got my coupons in a timely manner and picked them up this week. There were a lot of choices of the Betty Crocker Potatoes at the store but I picked Betty Crocker Homestyle Creamy Butter and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes! 

I made the potatoes as a side dish to go with Chicken.  I am also thinking of using the next package for Shepard's Pie. :)

So after reading the directions I made the Betty Crocker Homestyle Creamy Butter Mashed Potatoes. First I boiled 1 and 1/2 cups Water with 2 Tablespoons of butter, then turn off the burner and add 1/2 cup milk and 1 pouch of the Potatoes. Stir it up and let stand 1 minute.  

Betty Crocker Potatoes were ready quick and it was easy to make even for a novice cook like me! My husband said the Betty Crocker Potatoes were "Yum, It's good". So it's DH approved! I felt the Betty Crocker Potatoes were delicious and thicker then other brands I have tried.

Thank you for having me a part of this and I hope to make more posts about other dishes I make! :)

luzianagurl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Added a few extra ingredients such as cheese and beans and it tastes great!

MammaPaparazza
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Well,

Tonight was the test of all tests....

I was thirlled to be picked for this program, and I ran out to Acme and picked out my spuds :)
Since my meals always included real potatoes, I was pleasantly suprised to find my all time favorite "loaded" potatoe, but this time casserole! I also picked up a box of Au Gratin potatoes because besides mashed, it's my sons favorite!
There was sooooo many different kinds to pick from, so I let my DS (the potatoe lover) pick one, and I picked the other!
Tonights dinner menu was:
Steak (grilled)
Fresh Spinach (buttered/vinegar)
Normandy veggies
and dun dun dun.....AU GRATIN potatoes...

Let me start by saying this....usually when I make homemade Au Gratin potatoes, it's a loooong process, I start way in advance just to slice all those potatoes up....my ds and dh, go to town on potatoes, so usually I have to slice about 6 huge potatoes.
Then take into consideration all the ingredients I would have to have bought to make them homemade....I'm telling you this boxed meal was looking pretty fanstatic since my little ones have been sick all week! I haven't had time to grocery shop much!
Now comes the making it part...OMG...easy squeezy....i opened the box...and actually...I didnt read the directions all the way first...(oopsie) but it came out fine anyway :)
I put the potatoes and the seasoning packet and the butter in the dish...here have a gander...

Next I added the boiling water and the milk (boiling the water, is the only thing that took any time at all!)
now it looks like this...

Next I put in the oven....at 450 for 22 minutes...seriously people....this took (including the boiling of the water) 10 mins...at this point my homemade receipe---I'd still be washing the potatoes and digging the eyes out!
Ok...while it's cooking....heres my yummy veggies getting cooked...savory eating

Ok...potatoes are done...right on time with the steak! whoohoo....I dont have to keep checking! just like the box said! excellent!

Heres my set table...

Now heres the real test....my ds....picky picky potatoe eater...lets see....he ALWAYS goes for the potatoes first! Well...him and DH...they would fight each other for the first dibs!

Told you....now here goes DH....they dont know these are boxed potatoes yet...lol
They think I've gone insane taking pictures of our dinner...I told them I wanted to brag to my mom about my steak and potatoes ;)

^^^^ notice....they both went for potatoes first...typical men!

Now here is the aftermath...

POTATOES FOR THE WIN!!!!

So...they loved them! and it saved me and my aching back about 30 mins of prep work...over 7.00 in ingredients...and A WHOLE LOT OF TIME! in the time I saved I played a bunch of card games with my sickie DS! Quality family time thanks to Betty Crocker Potatoes!!! and MONEY SAVED!!! excellent for us since we are a one income family!

And what a better way to end this excellent adventure....as if the tasty goodness wasn't enough.....NOW I HAVE BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION FOR DS SCHOOL! SCORE!

Now to convince my mother! you rock BETTY CROCKER! THANKS FOR HOOKING ME UP WITH TIME AND GOOD EATS!

DropZoneMom
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this

One of my family's favorite side dishes is mashed potatoes, broiled with sliced tomatoes & cheese on top.   SO -- I decided to try this recipe using Betty Crocker's Four Cheese Potatoes.

The first thing I loved was how easy it was to make them -- no peeling, no waiting for them to boil to the right consistency.   The Betty Crocker potatoes were ready in minutes!  

After fluffing them in the saucepan, I put the potatoes in a round casserole -- then proceeded to add the rest of the ingredients from my recipe:  shredded cheddar & parmesan cheeses, tomato slices, and some basil & salt for a little extra flavor.

Ater just 10 minutes in the oven (425 degrees), the cheese was melted and the tomatoes perfectly baked.

Because the Betty Crocker Four Cheese Potatoes have cheese throughout (and not just melted on top), they have quickly become my kids' new favorite!

Balancing
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I am looking forward to using my betty crocker potatoes this week.  I have been on a trip celebrating our anniversary and wasn't able to shop /try until I go out today to buy groceries.  Hopefully, I will post back tomorrow with pics and comments~

Thanks for letting me participate!

Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
These pictures look so good! I think I want some Betty Crocker potatoes today!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN