Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Have you ever strayed from a recipe and discovered a fab new meal? Tell us about it!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

As a mom, you likely have a list of "go-to" dishes that you make for your family each week, right? How often do you switch it up?

We gave 50 moms coupons for Betty Crocker Potatoes and asked them to re-create one of their favorite potato dishes using Betty Crocker Potatoes.  We also asked them to walk us through preparing the meal and to share what their family honestly thought about their new dish. 

Have you ever strayed from a recipe and discovered a fab new meal? Tell us about it!

>< The CafeMom Team

eating

by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Replies (91-100):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I have added different things to recipes but don't think I have ever strayed from a recipe and created a totally different one.  I don't think I am that creative.

bamababe1975
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Yes, many, many times. Once we ran out of something we needed in order to make our sauce thicker so I subbed in potato flakes and not only did it thicken the sauce, but it added a richer flavor to the meal. :)

Bmat
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

No, I always think I will, but it never works out.

Bmat
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

This is a great idea, plus it adds extra nutrition.

Quoting bamababe1975:

Yes, many, many times. Once we ran out of something we needed in order to make our sauce thicker so I subbed in potato flakes and not only did it thicken the sauce, but it added a richer flavor to the meal. :)

northcarolinama
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I have made baked chicken that I usually cover in bread crumbs and seasoning, but one day I mixed up the bread crumbs and instead used graham cracker crumbs ( I didn't know i did it till dinner) and had a surprise at dinner. the chicken had this sweet maple flavor. ummm

LuLuRex
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Me too! I like to give old recipes a new twist with different seasoning and veggies!

Quoting tthomas87:

Seasonings and different veggies

LuLuRex
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I'm going to try that! It looks so good!

Quoting millerbunch:

now i love the idea with the cheese and tomatoes :)  yumm

Quoting DropZoneMom:

One of my family's favorite side dishes is mashed potatoes, broiled with sliced tomatoes & cheese on top.   SO -- I decided to try this recipe using Betty Crocker's Four Cheese Potatoes.

The first thing I loved was how easy it was to make them -- no peeling, no waiting for them to boil to the right consistency.   The Betty Crocker potatoes were ready in minutes!  

After fluffing them in the saucepan, I put the potatoes in a round casserole -- then proceeded to add the rest of the ingredients from my recipe:  shredded cheddar & parmesan cheeses, tomato slices, and some basil & salt for a little extra flavor.

Ater just 10 minutes in the oven (425 degrees), the cheese was melted and the tomatoes perfectly baked.

Because the Betty Crocker Four Cheese Potatoes have cheese throughout (and not just melted on top), they have quickly become my kids' new favorite!

mamivon2
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I cooked veggies and added steak umms and noodles.. Kids loved it

dusky_rose
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I love those Betty Crocker Potatoes! The other day I had the scalloped potato ones and added cheese to make au gratin to go with the breaded pork loin chops that I made for the first time and they were a hit! LOL I'm sorry, what was the question again?

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

LOswald0314
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I always make up my own recipes when it comes to my crockpot rather than following exactly what I see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN