Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Picky Eater 2 year old...solutions and options needed !

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi ladies.

I am embarrassed writing this post. My MIL has ruined my child ( she watches him while we are at work ). For the past 6 months or more DS has been eating only Fish Sticks, Shrimp Poppers, Fried Okra, Eggplant Fries (baked), Sweet Potato Fries (baked), Baked Beans, Oatmeal w/ puree fruit mixed in it, french toast, waffles, and occasionally he will eat corn.

I am soo upset. Most of the 16 months of this life...we did all organic foods...no junk...nothing sweet. He used to eat broccoli by the handful. He is 28 months and all my attempts at feeding him healthy food is out the window. He wont even touch vegetables. Unless its fried. He is also low in weight...about 25 lbs and 36 inches long. So I fear the just give him this and if he doesnt eat it...too bad route will not be an option. Especially since MIL will NOT cooperate with this at all while we are at work.

I dont know what to do...what I could feed him. Please no bashing and no telling me to give my kid to a stranger in daycare. I just need help with meal planning and transitioning him back into good foods.

Thanks,
Michelle

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
isaiahtabatha
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Here are a few suggestions.  Hope one helps. (I understand the not wanting to say eat this or go hungry.  My daughter's measurements are about what your son's are)
1. Take him to the grocery store with you.  Tell him he has a very important job.  His job is to pick something out for dinner in the produce aisle.  Tell him he gets to make the choice and you will buy it and make it.  Make a big deal about what an important job this is and how special he is for getting to do it.  Then of course you have to follow through and serve it.
2. Focus on one change per week.  Offer it over and over and over.  Remember how babies sometimes have to try something 10 times before they like it, pretend he's a baby in that regard.  Just offer the same thing over and over and over and chances are he'll start to like it again.
3.  Instead of fish sticks, sub. broiled fish with no breading.  If there is something he likes as dipping sauce, serve that on the side, even if it sounds gross to you.  My daughter loves low fat ranch dressing so when serving a food I'm trying to get her to like, I serve that too.  She dips the food in the dressing and 9 times out of 10 likes it.
4.  Try low fat yogurt, low fat cheese, and no sugar added applesauce, seedless grapes for snacks.  Remember to offer them over and over and don't get discourage if he turns up his nose the first dozen times.
5.  Pick one night a week and announce that night is a very special night.  It's new night.  It's the night everyone gets to try something new.  Put out special dishes, use a special table cloth or placemats.  Make a huge deal about how special that night is.  When you serve the healthy meal, make a huge deal about how special it is, now good it will taste.
In regards to your MIL: make the Dr. the bad guy.  Tell her your son's Dr. said he needs to eat certain foods so to make it easier on her, you will pack his lunch.  I found that people who think I'm nuts for doing certain things for my child's health will go with the flow and keep their mouths shut if I blame the doctor.

Wish2Be
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Quoting isaiahtabatha:

Here are a few suggestions.  Hope one helps. (I understand the not wanting to say eat this or go hungry.  My daughter's measurements are about what your son's are)
1. Take him to the grocery store with you.  Tell him he has a very important job.  His job is to pick something out for dinner in the produce aisle.  Tell him he gets to make the choice and you will buy it and make it.  Make a big deal about what an important job this is and how special he is for getting to do it.  Then of course you have to follow through and serve it.

He still needs to grasp what these veggies are. He picked up a tomato yesterday and said "apple" Then bit it and spit it out all over the place. :(

2. Focus on one change per week.  Offer it over and over and over.  Remember how babies sometimes have to try something 10 times before they like it, pretend he's a baby in that regard.  Just offer the same thing over and over and over and chances are he'll start to like it again.

I will try feeding him the same thing more often...while including the things he likes, because we dont want him to miss a meal. 

3.  Instead of fish sticks, sub. broiled fish with no breading.  If there is something he likes as dipping sauce, serve that on the side, even if it sounds gross to you.  My daughter loves low fat ranch dressing so when serving a food I'm trying to get her to like, I serve that too.  She dips the food in the dressing and 9 times out of 10 likes it.

I wish he liked to dip his food into stuff, but he dosnt.

4.  Try low fat yogurt, low fat cheese, and no sugar added applesauce, seedless grapes for snacks.  Remember to offer them over and over and don't get discourage if he turns up his nose the first dozen times.

Snacks are the easiest. He loves watermelon, grapes, and dehydrated snap peas ! We are still golden on the snacks :)

5.  Pick one night a week and announce that night is a very special night.  It's new night.  It's the night everyone gets to try something new.  Put out special dishes, use a special table cloth or placemats.  Make a huge deal about how special that night is.  When you serve the healthy meal, make a huge deal about how special it is, now good it will taste.

I will try this too ! Thanks for all the tips !

In regards to your MIL: make the Dr. the bad guy.  Tell her your son's Dr. said he needs to eat certain foods so to make it easier on her, you will pack his lunch.  I found that people who think I'm nuts for doing certain things for my child's health will go with the flow and keep their mouths shut if I blame the doctor.

This might work if she was a logical person. I noticed when he was just starting jar food that he would break out in a rash every time he had pineapple . Well MIL has known this since DS was 8 months old. She had the audacity to give him pineapple when he was 17 months old and after I asked repeatedly why he had a rash...she continued to blame it on him teething...only to tell me after a week that she had given him pineapple. She just thinks she knows better than me. Its very upsetting. I yelled at her for it...asked if he had to go into anaphylactic shock first for her to not give it to him. She hasnt done it since...to my knowledge. :(

CafeMom Tickers
rkoloms
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Kids love to dip! For example, raw, crunch vegetables (like jicama, cucumber, carrots, etc.) and whole grain crackers with hummus

steamed vegetables and whole grain pasta with marinara, peanut sauce, cheese sauce, etc.

Definitely, send food for your child, and not let your mother-in-law feed him crap. Her son needs to have a serious conversation with her.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Awesome suggestions! I think you covered pretty much everything I was going to say. 

Quoting isaiahtabatha:

isaiahtabatha
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope something works.  I wish your MIL was much more logical.  When my 3 year old gets in a picky mood she basically eats snacks instead of meals.  But picky for her means she will only eat green beans, broccoli, apples, applesauce, low fat cheese, low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, and grapes.  Yes, I know how lucky I am.

Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM

You've got some great ideas.  Also, I wouldn't worry about the weight as long as he is healthy and quite honestly, your MIL could be giving him MUCH WORSE foods.  No doubt you can transition him back to the things you want him to eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)