Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Kid Favorites - Potato Breaded Veggies

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies
3 moms liked this

What constitutes a kid favorite? I think it's something that is so irresistible they can't help but ask for seconds. For them it's about flavor, for us moms it's about getting them the nutrition that they need. That's why I love this recipe for potato-breaded veggies. We usually have all the ingredients necessary already in the house and it's a perfect way to get the kids to eat their veggies, which is a hard feat to accomplish. Here's how to make them:

1/4 cup fat-free egg product or 2 egg whites

1/4 cup Betty Crocker® Potato Buds® mashed potatoes (dry)

1 tablespoon grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese blend

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon margarine, melted

12 fresh broccoli flowerets (about 2 cups)

1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 2x1/2-inch pieces

1/4 cup fat-free peppercorn ranch dressing, if desired

1. Heat oven to 400°. Line jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, with aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Beat egg product slightly in small bowl. Mix potato buds, cheese, garlic powder and margarine in separate small bowl until crumbly. Dip vegetables into egg product; coat with potato mixture. Place vegetable pieces 1 inch apart on pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until coating is golden brown and vegetables are tender. Serve with ranch dressing dip if desired.

Moms, what are your favorite kid approved recipes?

*Photo courtesy of Betty Crocker

by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imadekyle
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Yumm! I would love these:) my son doesn't really like any "kid" type foods. He hates melted cheese, doesn't like noodles, won't eat potatoes. Heeheee silly kid! But he will eat all the spicy "adult" type foods with us:)
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

What a great idea!! I think number one would be homemade chicken nuggets. 

aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Ds is pretty easy to eat. His favorites are mac and cheese or meat sandwiches or "steak" lol. He doesn't care what kind of sandwich it is as long as its got some kind of lunch meat and "steak" is bacon. I can always win him over at the dinner table pretty easily lol.

OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Mar. 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Good recipe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

That's such a cool idea! 

My favorite kid approved recipe is anything rolled in a tortilla and cut into rounds.  It seems like kids like that.

Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This sounds and looks great!! I will try this out with my family! My children like mostly anything..so I am not sure about a special kid approved recipe in my home. ALthough, they do love mac and cheese and I sometimes put in some peas.

gmadiane
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM
great idea
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Mar. 23, 2012 at 6:42 AM

yummy....  this sounds good....  Anything mac and cheese and homemade nuggets...

lasombrs
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM
that sounds fun!! i am gonna try this soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Mar. 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Good idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)