Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Mashed Potatoes --- On a STICK!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

As I've mentioned before, I have a very picky preschooler at home. But, I've noticed that he will eat anything if I put it on a toothpick or a stick.  I have no idea what the allure is or why it makes dinnertime so exciting, but then again, I'm not four.  So, when I found this recipe for mashed potatoes on a stick I was both intrigued and a little giddy. Could it be that I could combine two of his most favorite things - potatoes and foods on a stick. I laughed out loud. Of course I could, and you can too!

1 pouch Betty Crocker® mashed potatoes (your choice in flavor)

2 cups hot water

Shredded cheese, if desired

Cooked bacon pieces, if desired

Vegetable oil for deep frying

1 egg

1 cup milk

1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

6 or 7 bamboo skewers

1. Make mashed potatoes as directed on pouch, using 2 cups hot water. If desired, stir in a handful of shredded cheese or bacon pieces. Refrigerate 15 minutes to cool.
  2. Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. With hands, shape 18 to 21 balls using 2 tablespoons potato mixture for each. Place on cookie sheet. Freeze potato balls 30 minutes to set.
  3. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350°F. In medium bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in flour, salt and baking powder until smooth.
  4. In batches of 4 or 5, dip each potato ball into batter; tap off excess against side of bowl. Fry about 4 minutes, turning once. With slotted spoon, remove from oil; set on paper towels. Thread 3 potato balls onto each skewer.

Moms, what are some of your favorite meals for picky eaters?

*Recipe courtesy of Lil Miss Bossy http://lilmissbossy.com

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elizma001
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Yum and so cute!!!

VanBurren
by Beth on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This is an awesome idea even for non-picky eaters!!  I love it!  Matt has never really been too picky, I don't think, so I've never had to "hide" food or make it different than usual.

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

awesome idea.......   i really dont have a picky eater.... But   putting any fruit or veggies on a stick or meat the kiddos love it..:O)

Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

This is brilliant.  Gonna have to go with regular potatoes, though.

Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeh, no picky eater ideas here.  Eat or starve.  

rkoloms
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Try this with broccoli; I'll bet it is awesome!

Wish2Be
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Its fair food.... yummy !

Wish2Be
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Quoting kurtkamkaitsmom:

awesome idea.......   i really dont have a picky eater.... But   putting any fruit or veggies on a stick or meat the kiddos love it..:O)

How old were they when you started to give them the stick? DS is 2 and I am afraid he will hurt himself with it.

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting Dabberdoo:

My son is super picky and super skinny, so I am afraid of that Eat or Starve bit....and yes I am a first time mom.

CafeMom Tickers
Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting Dabberdoo:

My son is super picky and super skinny, so I am afraid of that Eat or Starve bit....and yes I am a first time mom.

6 children here.  I promise, unless there is something very wrong, no child will allow himself to starve.  And no worries about your child being skinny.  Kids are all different sizes and shapes and doctors would do mommies a great service to toss "growth charts" out the window.  Hang in there.  My SIL was just talking to me the other day about her son, my nephew.  He is 12 and still wearing size 6/8 underwear.  He is just a super skinny kid but very healthy.  She was harrassed by doctors constantly when he was younger but he is active, healthy, "normal".  He is a good kid who happens to be skinny.  

(Not saying this to convince you to do things "my way".  Just talking to ya.  *smile*)

Visit my blog about my crazy family of 8 HERE!
If you are a Baptist lady desiring fellowship and support come join us HERE!
Looking for an idea for dinner?  Visit us Here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)