Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Mashed Potatoes --- On a STICK!

Posted by   + Show Post

As I've mentioned before, I have a very picky preschooler at home. But, I've noticed that he will eat anything if I put it on a toothpick or a stick.  I have no idea what the allure is or why it makes dinnertime so exciting, but then again, I'm not four.  So, when I found this recipe for mashed potatoes on a stick I was both intrigued and a little giddy. Could it be that I could combine two of his most favorite things - potatoes and foods on a stick. I laughed out loud. Of course I could, and you can too!

1 pouch Betty Crocker® mashed potatoes (your choice in flavor)

2 cups hot water

Shredded cheese, if desired

Cooked bacon pieces, if desired

Vegetable oil for deep frying

1 egg

1 cup milk

1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

6 or 7 bamboo skewers

1. Make mashed potatoes as directed on pouch, using 2 cups hot water. If desired, stir in a handful of shredded cheese or bacon pieces. Refrigerate 15 minutes to cool.
  2. Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. With hands, shape 18 to 21 balls using 2 tablespoons potato mixture for each. Place on cookie sheet. Freeze potato balls 30 minutes to set.
  3. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350°F. In medium bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in flour, salt and baking powder until smooth.
  4. In batches of 4 or 5, dip each potato ball into batter; tap off excess against side of bowl. Fry about 4 minutes, turning once. With slotted spoon, remove from oil; set on paper towels. Thread 3 potato balls onto each skewer.

Moms, what are some of your favorite meals for picky eaters?

*Recipe courtesy of Lil Miss Bossy http://lilmissbossy.com

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-38):
ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I dont think i would try it with mashed potatoes, but chunked ones would probably work great.

amyjane22
by Amy on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Such a cool idea!

amyjane22
by Amy on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Oh, and to answer your question, I don't really have a picky eater since my son will eat whatever you put in front of him, so I don't have much experience cooking for them :)

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Those look so good.

lasombrs
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

forget my son i really want these lol

abckymom
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I cant wait to try this. I think my kids might try it being on a toothpick: I cant get them to eat potatoes of any kind right now. I guess that isn't really a bad thing, but it is one of my weaknesses:)

aboutmygirls
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I was wondering the same thing....my 8 year old wont touch mashed potatoes and I was wondering if I could get these past her. Yes, she is a picky eater...lol!  Did you try making these and did your son try them???

Quoting dusky_rose:

What a great idea! I wonder if my no mashed potato eating boy would touch those are not?

dusky_rose
by Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Sorry, I haven't tried this yet. Good luck if you try it with your DD. This article made me wonder if my son would go for tator tots. LOL

Quoting aboutmygirls:

I was wondering the same thing....my 8 year old wont touch mashed potatoes and I was wondering if I could get these past her. Yes, she is a picky eater...lol!  Did you try making these and did your son try them???

Quoting dusky_rose:

What a great idea! I wonder if my no mashed potato eating boy would touch those are not?

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN