Italian Beef and Rice Skillet from the Betty Crocker site!
- slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- small bell pepper (any color), chopped (1/2 cup)
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- teaspoon salt
- cups water
- can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- can (2.25 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 1/2
- teaspoons Italian seasoning
- cups uncooked instant white rice
- cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until almost crisp. Add beef, onion, bell pepper, garlic and salt; cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
- 2Stir in water, tomatoes, olives and Italian seasoning; heat to boiling. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 3Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until melted.
A few slices of bacon adds a nice smoky flavor to this easy one-dish beef and rice meal. In place of plain diced tomatoes, you can use Italian-style diced tomatoes, tomatoes with garlic or tomatoes with celery and green bell pepper. Chop some fresh herbs that you may have, such as parsley, basil or oregano, or a combination of herbs, and mix into the shredded mozzarella before sprinkling on top of the rice dish.