Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas
My dh is on a new health kick and this time he wants to not eat meat during weekdays. My dh does not like most veggies - has always been a 'meat and potato' kind of person, so for him to not want me to make what most of our meals consist of is a total challenge

Any meatless meal ideas? Even if there are veggies in them, I can usually take them out of his portion. I have some basics (cheese quesadillas, meatless spaghetti, red beans and rice, etc) but I am really stuck on things that I can make 5 nights out of the week with out repeating it over and over.
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Yeh, there are quite a few meatless ideas in here.  Good luck with your attempts at eating healthier!!

rkoloms
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting themissheather:

Google seitan recipes. It's a high protein meat substitute that is very versatile. I make seitan stroganoff sometimes and my husband loves it. There are many other things you can do with it, too.

Seitan is really easy to make, but I prefer to buy the products from this company:  http://uptonsnaturals.com/  The chorizo and Italian sausage are staples at my house (and non-GMO)

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This looks so good. I think I am going to try to make this this weekend.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Easy Black Bean Pizza from the Betty Crocker site!

Easy Black Bean Pizza

You Need:

can (11 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated thin pizza crust
tablespoons olive oil
garlic cloves, finely chopped
teaspoon dried oregano leaves
can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
to 4 dashes red pepper sauce
1/4
cup water
Salt to taste
cups shredded pizza cheese blend (8 oz)
cups shredded romaine lettuce
cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4
cup ranch dressing

To Make:

• 1Heat oven to 400°F. Spray or grease 15x10-inch or larger dark or nonstick cookie sheet. Unroll dough onto cookie sheet. Starting at center, press dough into 15x10-inch rectangle. Bake 5 minutes.
  • 2Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and oregano; cook 30 seconds. Stir in black beans and pepper sauce. Add water; cook until reduced by half. Using potato masher or fork, mash beans into a paste. Taste for seasoning; add salt or additional pepper sauce to taste.
  • 3Spread bean mixture evenly over partially baked crust. Top evenly with cheese.
  • 4Bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and cheese has melted.
  • 5Cut pizza into 4 rows by 3 rows to make 12 squares. Top each with lettuce, tomatoes and a drizzle of ranch dressing.

Tips:

Replace the black beans with red kidney or pinto beans.

Add shredded or diced cooked chicken to the pizza after adding the cheese. Bake.

Serves: 6

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Does he like beans such as black beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas?

GE1
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM

On our non-meat nights we have pasta with either seafood or canned tuna (unles your husband considers this meat) in a white sauce

I also make lazagna in tomato sauce and use three different cheeses (cottage, motzerella and parmezan)

Like pp suggests you can cook with a variety of different beans as well as lentils and tofu

Also omelets are a tasty dish as well as sunny side up eggs on mashed potatoes

Ajohnson2334
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Yup he loves beans. Just not most veggies (peppers, onions, anything green, yellow, red, or orange) lol Unless they are big enough to pick out

Quoting cherylw993:

Does he like beans such as black beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas?

rkoloms
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Or yum damn

I have to ask. what is this?

jessi2girls
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

meatless lasagna is the first one that comes to mind.. just leave out the meat or replace with veggies.

vegetable soup

omelets

most pasta dishes you can omit meats on really or substitute with veggies.

swmmra
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

there are really good veggie burgers that you can buy, as well as veggie patties and such. But if he is really that much of a meat and potato guy, this probably won't last long enough to go through your weeks worth of meals. 

One of my favs is homemade chili (meatless) over baked potato with cheese and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I love it!!

Mrs_Incredible
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Veggie lasagna, veggie burgers (morningstar has some awesome ones). You can also you meat substitutes in place. We did it for one summer, but I wasn't able to maintain a completley vegetarian diet due to an unknown medical condition (which has since been figured out). I have to consume protein in other ways at least two days a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)