Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas
My dh is on a new health kick and this time he wants to not eat meat during weekdays. My dh does not like most veggies - has always been a 'meat and potato' kind of person, so for him to not want me to make what most of our meals consist of is a total challenge

Any meatless meal ideas? Even if there are veggies in them, I can usually take them out of his portion. I have some basics (cheese quesadillas, meatless spaghetti, red beans and rice, etc) but I am really stuck on things that I can make 5 nights out of the week with out repeating it over and over.
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
wulfeyes05
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM

3 Bean Vege Chili

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium-size onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 sweet bell peppers, cored and diced
  • 1 medium-size zucchini, trimmed and diced
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (15 ounces) small white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • grated cheese, for serving (optional)
Make It

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chili powder and cook 3 minutes.

2. Add peppers and zucchini and continue to cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup and oregano. Cook 8 minutes.

4. Gently stir in the beans. Cover pot and continue to cook 3 minutes. Serve with grated cheese, if desired.

des.
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell him that to be healthy, he needs to acquire a taste for veggies and cook them.  Don't make yourself miserable because of his pickiness.

I would begin by grilling red peppers, zucchini, and onions brushed with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Really tasty even for meat lovers.  Portabella mushrooms done right on the grill are meaty too. 

As children, we can aquire a taste for a wide variety of foods...but that's really what happens.  We have to eat something over and over again before it is good to us.  It makes sense.  It's sort of like beer or wine or super dark chocolate.  You might have to have it a couple of times before the taste becomes agreeable and you will crave it.  Dinner might not be enjoyable to him every night, but he'll be fine and you won't have to worry about it later on, instead of catering to something unrealistic and extending that stress into the future.  Just because he didn't like something or eat something as a kid does not mean he can't as an adult.

bmack2107
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Why doesn't he just eat healthier meats? Like ground turkey instead of ground beef.... or chicken instead of steak. As for healthy foods without meat... you got me there! lol I always have a meat.

faeriemom1972
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM
I try to go meatless about 4 times a week. This week is black bean soft tacos, macaroni and cheese, fried rice(sorry, no way around the veggies in this one), and southwest omelette with cornbread.
CassSpade
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I make a lot of things like that-

Cheesy Potato Enchiladas

I make these once a week, my family LOVES them. fyi- I don't actually measure anything when I make this, so the measurements are approximate.

a little less than 1 bag frozen hashbrowns

about a tbsp oil to fry potatoes

10 medium sized tortillas

1 can red enchilada sauce

16 oz shredded cheddar cheese

8 oz sour cream

1 onion, chopped

fry the hashbrowns and dump them all in to a large bowl. Mix in onion, most of the cheese, and a half to a full tub of sour cream. Mix it all up and put back on skillet until the cheese is melted. put a scoop of filling in a tortilla and roll up, then place in baking dish. Do this to all of the tortillas. Cover with enchilada sauce and bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes. Put the rest of the cheese on top of the enchiladas and bake until it's melted (a couple minutes) Let sit for 10 minutes, serve with sour cream.

And here is another one, the recipe of a good friend of mine (I don't know if I can put her sn on here, but she's from CM)

Spinach Lasagna Rollups (Made at least bi-weekly in our house!)

9-10 whole wheat cooked lasagna noodles (or Catelli Smart, whatever) I also make a couple extra in case one tears or something)
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
15 oz light ricotta cheese (or even fat free if you want to go lighter)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I use light mozzarella if I don`t have parm on hand)
1 egg
salt and fresh pepper to taste
oregano & basil to taste
1-3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped (to taste, we love garlic and use 3.. lol)
32 oz tomato sauce (Jarred, canned or your favorite homemade)
9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and garlic in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.

Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are cooked, cooled and dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll 
carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.

Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Makes 9-10 rolls.

To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll. 

I also play around a lot with salads and sandwiches. You could do a sandwich on sprouted wheat bread, with cheddar cheese, sprouts, mustard, tomato, avocado, and rasperry vinnagrette. Or a salad made with dark green lettuce (of any kind), tossed with chopped tomato, vinagrette (I like red wine vin.), feta. Serve on top of pita bread and top with a scoop of hummus. Mmmm..

aimhawk
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM

*MINI PIZZAS*
4 whole wheat English muffins, cut in half, toasted
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 cup Shredded low-fat Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Heat oven to 400ºF. Place muffin halves on foil-covered baking sheet; spread with pizza sauce. Top with remaining ingredients. Bake 8 to 10 min. or until cheese is melted.

*TUSCAN VEGETABLE BAKED ZITI*
1 pkg. (7 oz.) KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Italian* Three Cheese Blend, divided
3 cups ziti pasta, cooked, drained
2 large red peppers, cut into thin strips
2 zucchini, halved, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 jar (24 oz.) chunky spaghetti sauce
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
Heat oven to 375ºF. Reserve 3/4 cup cheese; combine remaining ingredients. Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake 20 to 25 min. or until heated through.

jbyrd898
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:15 AM

you can do meatless chilli or black bean soup. these are favorites at my house

alibrezzy154
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Dh is exactly like this. Lol. What I did was found different ways of preparing the veggies. Like roasting them and grilling them. I was able to find he like tons of veggies they just need to be prepared correctly.
tisami1
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:26 AM
The ones that i can think of now are fried rice, breakfast (anyything with eggs, french toast, pancakes) and soups.
rkoloms
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Quoting bmack2107:

Why doesn't he just eat healthier meats? Like ground turkey instead of ground beef.... or chicken instead of steak. As for healthy foods without meat... you got me there! lol I always have a meat.

Unless you are getting meat from an organic, environmentally resposible farm, meat is not healthy for people or our planet,

If everyone had just one meatless day a week, it would be the environmental equivalent of removing 7,000,000 cars from our roads

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)