Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas
My dh is on a new health kick and this time he wants to not eat meat during weekdays. My dh does not like most veggies - has always been a 'meat and potato' kind of person, so for him to not want me to make what most of our meals consist of is a total challenge

Any meatless meal ideas? Even if there are veggies in them, I can usually take them out of his portion. I have some basics (cheese quesadillas, meatless spaghetti, red beans and rice, etc) but I am really stuck on things that I can make 5 nights out of the week with out repeating it over and over.
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
MamaK88
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Tortilla Casserole

• 1 cup diced onions
  • 1 TB minced garlic
  • 1 TB canola oil
  • pinch cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 TB oregano, dried
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 28oz. can (or 2 15oz. cans) diced Tomatoes (do NOT drain)
  • 1 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 3 cups tortilla chips crushed (I save the dregs from the bottom of the bags)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
  1. In a large pot, saute onions and garlic in canola oil with the spices except salt and pepper (can also sub equal amount "taco seasonings" for spices) until onions are clear
  2. Add salt, pepper, milk, and black beans.  Cook 10-15 minutes to reduce a little
  3. Stir in Parmesan and crushed chips, and then pour into a greased 9x9 pan
  4. Sprinkle some crushed chips and cheddar cheese on top. 
  5. Place in WARM oven for a few minutes to melt the cheddar and congeal the casserole
  6. Cut into 6 or 9 pieces, serve with salsa and sour cream. 
jbbrown80
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Black bean burgers, quiche with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and oninion, veggie lasagna...soup and sandwiches. That's all I can think of for right now-anything with eggs, beans, peanuts/nuts-I'm on a high protien, low fat diet for a health condition I have and findig certain foods while keeping protien in the diet can be challenging-oh, I thought of another one-baked potato bar with cheese sauce, imitation bacon bits, broccoli!

legalize.it
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Morning star farms sells 'Meal Starters' in the freezer section as well as veggie burgers. They are made of TVP or textured vegetable protein, and as well as being very good for you, TVP is completely flavorless, so it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with and has the texture and consistency of meat.  I always like chilli, made with tomatoes, beans, TVP, and onions and peppers, cuz its yummy and you can put it on lots of stuff as well as making dips out of it. 

babyboyzz
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

In the organic and health food section of kroger, there is a product called "Meatless Ground" by Yves. They are fantastic and can be used in any recipe that uses ground beef or ground turkey.  We use it in stews, Hamburger Helper, tacos and chili. 

periwinkle163
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You could still make a lot of soups that traditionally have meat, just use the stock and omit the meat.

MrsAdorkable
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/main.aspx?prop24=PN_2.3.7_SN.Vegetarian I usually just scroll through here until something catches my fancy, then I adjust the ingredients. Like, I made this lastnight except used cottage instead of ricotta, nixed the corn, added cauliflower,  spinach, and chives, and just used lots of garlic powder instead of soup mix. 

I told DF I am doing meatless once a week and he told me he was just going to eat something else those nights... I DIDN'T tell DF that the lasagna was meatless lastnight & he raved about it

brittonJ
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Homemade veggie pizza, vegetarian chili and cornbread, salad if he'll eat it, meatless lasagne, any pasta dish without meat, quinoa, veggie tacos (everything but the meat)... being vegetarian is so easy, there is a substitue for almost everything. Any recipe you want to make just google it with "vegetarian" at the beginning and you will find what you're looking for.

brittonJ
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Morning star farms uses wood pulp as filler in some of their products. I would advise going to a local farmer's market grocer to find any frozen meat substitutes - the ones at the grocery store are often too commercialized and not super healthy for you.

Quoting legalize.it:

Morning star farms sells 'Meal Starters' in the freezer section as well as veggie burgers. They are made of TVP or textured vegetable protein, and as well as being very good for you, TVP is completely flavorless, so it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with and has the texture and consistency of meat.  I always like chilli, made with tomatoes, beans, TVP, and onions and peppers, cuz its yummy and you can put it on lots of stuff as well as making dips out of it. 

mcr17
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM

vegetarian chili? i make it all the time and DH loves it. im sure you can find a recipe you like on allrecipes.com

mcr17
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM

i despise morningstar farms. its disgusting. i usually go with lightlife or Quorn.

Quoting brittonJ:

Morning star farms uses wood pulp as filler in some of their products. I would advise going to a local farmer's market grocer to find any frozen meat substitutes - the ones at the grocery store are often too commercialized and not super healthy for you.

Quoting legalize.it:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN