Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

The Adventure Club! (Orzo)

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM
  • 4 Replies

Orzo is something I've never tried.....so I thought this would make a great Adventure Club ingredient.  Have you ever tried orzo?  No?  Well, here's your opportunity!

What is the Adventure Club?

Each week, I'll post an Adventure Club topic. . .could be pies, could be side dishes, could be recipes that use artichokes in them. The idea is to try something NEW.

If you want to participate this week, post a new-to-you recipe that you've been wanting to try (this is the time to experiment). If you want to be REALLY adventurous, let me know that you'd like for me to pick you out a recipe to try. Each person will try just one recipe....either the one they pick themselves or the one I pick for them.

You have all week and through the weekend to try the recipe, and then post your review by Monday, April 23rd.

Who's in??? 

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I'm hoping to try the chicken dish you posted about. I have to see when I can get all the ingredients. 

Granny1952
by Bobbi on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I have used orzo before. Not very often. I will see if I can fit it in with my menu this week.

VanBurren
by Beth on Apr. 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This is what sounds good to me......

ORZO WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES

1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced

1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced

1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced

1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup good olive oil

1-1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/2 lb orzo

For the dressing:

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)

1/3 cup good olive oil

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

To assemble:

4 scallions, minced

1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

3/4 lb good fetta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)

15 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Toss the eggplant, bellpepeprs, onion and garlic with the olive oil, salt and pepper on a large baking sheet.  Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender.  Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.

Add roasted vegetables to the orzo, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour on orzo and vegetables.  Cool to room temperature.  Add the scallions, pine nuts, feta and basil.  Ceck seasonings; serve at room temperature.

*recipe taken from Better Homes & Gardens 2009 Annual Recipes

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM
I haven't tried it. I should
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)