Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Buttermilk

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 14 Replies

I used it for waffles, but now I have a lot leftover, any ideas??

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmom114
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Buttermilk chess pie
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Im from the south Ive heard of this but never had it !

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Crispy Buttermilk Oven-Fried Chicken (Makeover) from the Betty Crocker site!

Crispy Buttermilk Oven-Fried Chicken (Makeover)

You Need:

cup corn flakes cereal
1/2
cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
teaspoons garlic powder
teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon poultry seasoning
teaspoons black pepper
teaspoon paprika
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/2
teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb), skin removed
1/4
cup buttermilk
Cooking spray

To Make:

• 1Heat oven to 425°F. Line 13x9-inch pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.
  • 2Place cereal in food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet. In shallow dish, mix crushed cereal, the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, black pepper, paprika, salt and ground red pepper.
  • 3In another shallow dish, place chicken. Pour buttermilk over chicken pieces, turning to coat all sides. Remove chicken pieces, one at a time, from buttermilk, then dip in cereal mixture, turning to coat completely; shake off excess. Place chicken pieces, bone sides down, in pan. Spray top of chicken with cooking spray.
  • 4Bake uncovered 50 to 60 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and drumsticks).

Serves: 5

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Buttermilk Corn Muffins also from the Betty Crocker site!

Buttermilk Corn Muffins

You Need:

1 3/4
cups cornmeal
cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/3
cup sugar
1/2
cup butter or margarine, melted
cup buttermilk
teaspoon baking soda
eggs, slightly beaten

To Make:

• 1Heat oven to 400°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups with shortening.
  • 2In large bowl, stir all ingredients until blended. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
  • 3Bake muffins 14 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack.

Tips:

Don't have buttermilk? Don't worry. You can use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus enough milk to measure 1 cup.

Cornmeal is simply dried and ground corn. Available in fine, medium and coarse grinds, cornmeal can be white, yellow or even blue. Most cornbreads and muffins are made with medium or coarse meal.

Serves: 12

amyjane22
by Amy on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Buttermilk biscuits, homemade ranch dressing, pancakes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Buttermilk Chess pie
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttermilk-chess-pie/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=buttermilk%20chess%20pie&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Buttermilk Biscuits
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chef-johns-buttermilk-biscuits/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=buttermilk%20biscuit&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

Buttermilk Biscuits are great as sides, or a topping for a dish (any meaty biscuit bake).  This recipe uses no lard or shortening, just butter.  It also has a high rating with lots of reviews.

1stpreggers
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Im a little biscuit challenged lol they always come out like little pucks :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand where you're coming from with biscuits, but if you're doing a bake with them, you just kinda drop them on top of the casserole.  They don't have to be actual biscuits.

Also, I went ahead and did a search on AllRecipes (because I love food, and recipes) and this is what it came up with.
http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?ms=0&origin=Recipe+Search+Results&qt=i&pqt=i&fo=0&rt=r&w0=buttermilk  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)