Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Keeping plain cooked ground beef in refrigerator all week?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am what I like to refer to as a lazy prepper... I make meal charts for dinner but never breakfast or lunch. I freeze some crock pot meals in Ziploc baggies after grocery shopping. That's about it. I was talking to my dad and he said that he will buy a 5 lb roll of hamburger on Sunday, make a couple hamburger patties with it, and cook the rest. He said he will make the last pound into taco meat... that way if he decides he wants chili/sloppy joes/tacos/hamburger helper during the week... the meat is already cooked. I would imagine that this is just like putting leftovers in the refrigerator and eating them later, but it still seems weird to me (probably because it never occured to me). Does anyone know if there might be a problem with this?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I was taught not to eat left overs 3 days after you cook it.  Whether that is true or not is beyond me.  However, that seems like awesome prepping and planning to me and he gets kudos!

maxswolfsuit
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I know ground beef can have more bacteria then whole meat. 

I freeze mine and then just throw it in a pan with the water and taco seasoning. It works fine. 

chelwig89
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Thanks ladies!

Belinda- That's exactly what I thought! The whole time he was talking I was thinking, "As long as you aren't going to die from it... that's ingenious!"

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I do something similar to this all the time, although I usually freeze the cooked meat. mostly because I would get bored with eating grounded beef all week.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM
I also follow the 3 day rule. If you freeze it that's a different story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
simple_ole_me
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I do that with chicken every Sunday. I put a whole one in the crockpot, shred it, and freeze 2-cup portions. As the rest said, I wouldn't leave meat in the fridge beyond a couple days.

chelwig89
by New Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, my dad likes what he likes and doesn't really stray from it lol. He also just had new dentures made which makes eating pork & chicken a little more difficult.

chelwig89
by New Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Thanks ladies! If I decide to do this I will definitely freeze it in portions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)