Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls from the Betty Crocker site!
- large head green cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- tablespoon vegetable oil
- medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- medium zucchini, diced (1 cup)
- cup cooked white rice
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- teaspoon dried basil leaves
- teaspoon caraway seed
- bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- cup dry white wine or vegetable broth
- 1Heat oven to 350°. Spray rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1 1/2 inches, with cooking spray. Remove 8 leaves of cabbage while holding head under running water. Cover leaves with boiling water. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until leaves are limp; drain.
- 2Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and zucchini in oil about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in rice, salt, pepper, basil, caraway seed, half of the chili sauce and 2/3 cup of the cheese.
- 3Place about 1/4 cup rice mixture at stem end of each leaf. Roll leaf around rice mixture, tucking in sides. Place seam side down in dish. Sprinkle wine over cabbage rolls.
- 4Cover and bake 30 minutes. Spoon remaining chili sauce over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Bake uncovered about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Choose a cabbage with fresh, crisp-looking leaves that are firmly packed; the head should be heavy for its size.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable, considered by many to provide protection against certain cancers. It also contains a good amount of vitamin C and some vitamin A.