Daily Chocolate Fix. . .(Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies)
RED VELVET CREAM CHEESE BROWNIES
- For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (gel or powder)
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- For the cream cheese:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper (or butter it generously).
- Melt the butter; add sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, red food coloring, and vinegar – stir to combine everything. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs; add eggs to the butter mixture slowly, whisking constantly.
- Fold the flour into the mixture, being careful not to overmix. Reserve 1/4 cup of batter for the top and set aside. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat cream cheese until soft. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla; beat until combined. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the brownie batter in baking pan.
- Dollop remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer. Drag a toothpick or knife through the batter to create swirls.
- Bake brownies for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese is set. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting.
*recipe taken from a blog: http://fakeginger.com/2011/12/17/red-velvet-cream-cheese-brownies/