Daily Crock Pot Recipes! (Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder)
This has a lot of ingredients, but it sounds soooooo good!
FARMHOUSE CHICKEN AND CORN CHOWDER
2 slices bacon, minced
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 onions, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
¼ cup all-purpose flour
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound red potatoes (about 3 medium), scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
1 carrot, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 bay leaves
1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
Salt and pepper
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn
½ cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or cilantro
1. Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and onions and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups broth, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
2. Stir remaining 3 cups broth, potatoes, carrot, and bay leaves into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
3. Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces. Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard bay leaves.
4. Microwave bell pepper with remaining teaspoon oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. In separate bowl, microwave creamed corn until hot, about 3 minutes.
5. Stir softened peppers, hot creamed corn, shredded chicken, cream, and chipotles into soup and let sit until heated through about 5 minutes. Stir in basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.