Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Daily Crock Pot Recipes! (Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder)

Posted by   + Show Post

This has a lot of ingredients, but it sounds soooooo good!

FARMHOUSE CHICKEN AND CORN CHOWDER

Ingredients:

2 slices bacon, minced
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 onions, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
¼ cup all-purpose flour
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound red potatoes (about 3 medium), scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
1 carrot, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 bay leaves
1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
Salt and pepper
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn
½ cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or cilantro

Directions:

1. Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and onions and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups broth, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.

2. Stir remaining 3 cups broth, potatoes, carrot, and bay leaves into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.

3. Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces. Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard bay leaves.

4. Microwave bell pepper with remaining teaspoon oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. In separate bowl, microwave creamed corn until hot, about 3 minutes.

5. Stir softened peppers, hot creamed corn, shredded chicken, cream, and chipotles into soup and let sit until heated through about 5 minutes. Stir in basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

*recipe taken from http://www.momswhothink.com/crock-pot-recipes/farmhouse-chicken-and-corn-chowder.html

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-18):
aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

it's okay that it has a lot of ingredients since the first one was bacon lol ;-)

Flaca43
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Oh my! Looks and sounds so so good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM

This sounds really good, but I'll probably substitute breasts for the thighs.  I'm not a fan of dark meat poultry.

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Just got this into the crock pot.  I've been planning to do this recipe for a while.  Tomorrow is payday and my big grocery trip of the month, so I did have to make some changes based on what I had.  But, I had almost everything.  Heck, I even had the chipotles in adobo!  Anyway, this sounds perfect for the cold, rainy weather we've had.  The rain is supposed to ease today, but it's still rather cold.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You will have to let me know how it is!

Quoting taniamorse85:

Just got this into the crock pot.  I've been planning to do this recipe for a while.  Tomorrow is payday and my big grocery trip of the month, so I did have to make some changes based on what I had.  But, I had almost everything.  Heck, I even had the chipotles in adobo!  Anyway, this sounds perfect for the cold, rainy weather we've had.  The rain is supposed to ease today, but it's still rather cold.

VanBurren
by Beth on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Yes....please come back with a review for us:)

Quoting MamaMandee:

You will have to let me know how it is!

Quoting taniamorse85:

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh my goodness, this was amazing!  I think I put a little more chipotle than the recipe calls for, but it was the perfect level of spiciness.  Everything was cooked to perfection, and the flavors blended deliciously.  This is definitely a recipe I'm going to do again and again!

Here's a list of the changes I made:

Ingredients

-One onion

-3/4 teaspoon garlic powder instead of cloves (1/8 tsp. equals 1 clove)

-extra adobo sauce instead of the tomato paste

-ground thyme instead of fresh or dried

-russet potatoes instead of red

-1 can of corn (drained) instead of carrots

-omitted bay leaves, salt, pepper, and basil/cilantro

-chicken breasts instead of thighs

-chopped mini sweet peppers instead of bell pepper

-3/8 cup milk combined with 1 tablespoon melted butter instead of heavy cream

Directions

-Poached chicken (just plain water; no spices) and chopped it into small pieces during prepwork

-Put all ingredients, except sweet peppers, in crock pot and cooked for 6 hours on low.  Added sweet peppers and cooked for another 45 minutes.

Obviously, with all these changes, it's not the same as it would be by the directions, but I really liked it this way.  I may do this recipe with the ingredients listed someday, but I will continue to use the changes in directions I made.  For one thing, microwaving the peppers in oil doesn't sound appetizing to me, and I'd rather just add them toward the end so they get slightly cooked.  As for the chicken, this is how I usually do shredded or cubed chicken in a CP recipe.  The chicken stays juicy as long as I don't overcook it when I poach it, and it picks up the flavors of the other ingredients quite nicely.

warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Your review sounds great :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN