Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

I give you a food item and you share with the group if you like it or dislike it!

Today's Food: Baked Beans

Photo Credit:overcomingmountains.wordpress.com

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ninalouise
by New Member on May. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Sweet beans.. thats how I make them, just put a little brown sugar on them with cinnamon. Tasty ; )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenandpetersmom
by Lisa on May. 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

like! especially when they're not from a can lol

Concerned101
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

My family loves baked beans. The unseasoned variety can become excellent with the addition of one-half cup of catsup, one-fourth cup of brown sugar OR molasses, one lid-full of minced onion, and one-fourth teaspoon of black pepper.

If people like the taste of ham or bacon with beans, I recommend lightly browning diced ham (one-fourth to one-half cup) or diced bacon (one to two strips) in a sauce pan at medium to low heat. It is important to watch closely and turn or stir the bits of meat. If I use bacon, I drain off the bacon grease before adding the can of beans and the seasonings given above. (For diced ham, no-stick spray in the pan usually is sufficient, and there is no significant fat left after browning).

I like to bring the beans to a slight boil in a sauce pan while stirring gently to keep the beans from sticking. Then I turn the burner on "low" to let the beans simmer for 15-20 minutes.

To make baked beans, I grease a glass baking dish or stainless steel baking pan and set it aside while the oven pre-heats. Into a medium-size mixing bowl, I pour beans from the can and gently stir in the above-mentioned seasonings. I cover the baking dish or pan with foil or a glass lid and bake the bean mixture at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 60 minutes in the oven. Sometimes I start at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and then reduce to 325 degrees for the rest of the baking time.

My grandmother liked to serve baked beans at every family dinner, with the main course being roast beef, southern-fried chicken, or meat loaf. She usually served another side dish of baked macaroni and cheese, which she made with extra cheese sauce since baking tends to dry the food item. She would sprinkle paprika on top of the macaroni and cheese and cover with foil or a glass lid and bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes. She sometimes would uncover the dish the last five minutes to let the top brown to a golden color. 

kellymom127
by New Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

dislike ... only beans I will eat are green beans

KelliW29
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Like.  only if my mom's made them from scratch.  :)

delanna6two
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Like!!!

ashleywagoner
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2mylilgirlz
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Like..my mil makes the best. Me..not so much. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Like...with hot dogs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)