Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Cinco de Mayo has come and gone, but it doesn't mean that we've had our fill of South of the Border favorites. This week, I'm planning a taco night. We love tacos in this house and this recipe for potato tacos is new and exciting. It also fits right in with our picky eater's habits. He loves potatoes. Here's how to make them:

2 large unpeeled Yukon Gold or 3 to 4 medium red potatoes (1/2 lb), cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)

1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped (1/2 cup)

1/2 cup Old El Paso® salsa verde

2 1/2 teaspoons Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)

4 Old El Paso® Stand 'n StuffTM taco shells (from 4.7-oz box)

1 cup shredded lettuce

1 medium tomato, seeded, chopped

1/2 cup Old El Paso® taco sauce

1/2 cup queso fresco cheese or Mexican cheese blend (2 oz)

1. Place potatoes in microwavable bowl; cover with microwavable plastic wrap. Microwave on High 5 minutes or until tender.
  2. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, onion and bell pepper; cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion and bell pepper are crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in salsa verde and taco seasoning mix; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Divide filling evenly into taco shells. Top each with lettuce, tomato, taco sauce and cheese.

Moms, what kind of tacos do you make in your house?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
Wish2Be
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quoting amyjane22:

Those look yummy!

We usually have chicken tacos or the occasional beef taco. We almost always do soft tacos.

We usually do a double decker taco....first layer is soft taco then refried beans then a hard taco w/ beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and salsa....and if we are lucky...some sour cream too ! :)

CafeMom Tickers
amyjane22
by Amy on May. 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

My husband loves to have a double decker taco!  I don't remember to buy the ingredients for them very often.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting amyjane22:

Those look yummy!

We usually have chicken tacos or the occasional beef taco. We almost always do soft tacos.

We usually do a double decker taco....first layer is soft taco then refried beans then a hard taco w/ beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and salsa....and if we are lucky...some sour cream too ! :)

Madelaine
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

yum!

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM

We usually make the traditional tacos with ground beef in them. Or soft tacos with chicken sometimes. My DH loves meat so I won't be making these.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

slw123
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

What a great idea!

amy7243
by Amy on May. 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM
These look so good.
Bmat
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Usually I just make them with lettuce, seasonsed ground beef, tomato, taco sauce.

supergirl_mommy
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I love to add salsa chicken, lettuce, tomato to mine
taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM

This looks like a great recipe for families trying to do a meatless night!  I just got a fresh 10 lb. bag of potatoes, and we were planning on doing tacos this weekend, anyway.   I might make them for Sunday and Monday instead, though, because our plans for Saturday's dinner have changed.  My b-day is tomorrow, and my mom was planning to take us out to dinner to celebrate.  That got moved to Saturday because my grandpa offered to take us out tomorrow as well.  He can't do it on Saturday, but my mom can, and I want to milk this for as many free meals as possible!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)