Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

meatballs?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 9 Replies
i am not a big fan but dh loves them. i want to use some hamburger meat before it goes bad tonight so i am thinking of making some for the crockpot. but i have never made meatballs before. dh always does it. So..... what goes in it? lol. is it basically meatloaf only ball shapped? I was thinking the meat, bread crumbs, seasoning and an egg or two. am I off base here?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
No clue. Never made them. Here is a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VanBurren
by Beth on May. 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Yes, meat, bread crumbs, one egg, some chili powder, maybe some cumin, chopped onion if you have it.  Put them in the crock with some bbq sauce or a mixture of grape jelly and chili sauce.  You could also make a stroganoff-type sauce with cream of mushroom soup.

MOMMY_PLEASE
by New Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I WANT TO MAKE MEATBALLS TOO BUT WITH SPAGHETTI!! ANY GOOD FAST N EASY RECIPES?

OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on May. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
No clue I buy frozen lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylw993
by Cheryl on May. 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I also add chopped onions, garlic and parm cheese.

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on May. 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I add chopped onions, garlic, parm cheese, bread crumbs  Italian seasoning or chili powder.....

amyjane22
by Amy on May. 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I put in 1 pound hamburger, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon milk, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, enough breadcrumb to make them hold together, and bake them in a 375 oven until lightly browned and done.  I add in other seasonings sometimes, but it just depends on my mood.

amyjane22
by Amy on May. 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Oh, it should only take about 20-30 minutes for them to cook in the oven.

And, as for sauces, you could do pasta sauce, bbq sauce, or chili sauce with grape jelly.

Quoting amyjane22:

I put in 1 pound hamburger, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon milk, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, enough breadcrumb to make them hold together, and bake them in a 375 oven until lightly browned and done.  I add in other seasonings sometimes, but it just depends on my mood.

Concerned101
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM

In a large stainless steel bowl, I mix the following ingredients:

1 pound of ground beef

1 egg

1/2 cup milk mixed with 1/2 cup of catsup (a good way to rinse out the catsup bottle)

salt and pepper to taste

1 lid full of dried, minced onion flakes

After mixing thoroughly, I add 1/2 to 1 cup of flour until meat mixture is firm enough to shape into meatballs or into a loaf for meatloaf.

Whenever meatballs are wanted, I shape each one into a ball a bit smaller than a lemon and place them into a greased baking dish. Then I bake them at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes, being careful not to burn them. It is possible to bake them in a covered skillet. First brown them on all sides at medium heat, add a bit of water to steam them, cover with a lid, and keep the skillet on low heat for about 20-30 minutes. It may be necessary to check on them every 15 minutes and add a bit more water to prevent burning and sticking.

I usually serve half the meatballs and then cool and freeze the rest for future meals. Leftover meatballs are good with cream of mushroom soup made with milk. First thaw the meatballs and set them aside. Mix and heat the soup in a large saucepan and then add the thawed meatballs. Reduce heat to warm or low to heat the meatballs thoroughly for about 15 minutes and then let them simmer on low for another 15 minutes. This recipe is good with mashed potatoes, buttered and drained noodles, hot Texas toast, or white rice. 

Variation: To make Swedish meatballs or Salisbury steak, use the same recipe as above, but add two tablespoons of lemon juice instead of catsup. If more liquid is needed, add the 1/2 cup of milk. For the steaks, form the meat mixture into round patties that are about three-quarters of an inch to one inch thick and three to four inches across. One pound of ground beef will make three or four patties. Place steaks (or meatballs) into a greased baking dish or shallow pan with sides. Then bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven for 45 minutes, just as you would with the meatball recipe above. It may be necessary to add a bit of water to prevent sticking and burning. Use the pan drippings to make gravy on top of the stove. Pour the gravy into a large, greased stainless steel bowl, add the Salisbury steaks or Swedish meatballs, ladle gravy over the top of the meat, cover bowl with lid or foil, and return to the oven for 30 minutes to heat evenly and blend the flavors of the meat and gravy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN