Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Baked Spaghetti

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 3 Replies

What is the best way to make Baked Spaghetti? I have done it before and the noodles get real dried out with no flavor. I do not over cook it but I am wondering how to make it where it stays moist but not slimy.

by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on May. 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I have heard adding cream cheese and a processed cheese to the hamburger after cooking it then the sauce ....and so on. I have not tried it tho. 

delanna6two
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I made some with elbow mac and added sour cream.

Concerned101
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM

My mother used to make baked spaghetti by first browning crumbled up hamburger, not too finely crumbled up, in a skillet. She would add salt and pepper to taste and then may one-fourth to one-half cup of fresh, diced onion. She would simmer the meat until the onion was clear. She then would drain off half of the meat drippings or as needed and add the meat to a 3-qt. saucepan containing most of one can (46 ounces) of tomato juice. She would reserve one or two cups of juice for warming up any leftover spaghetti later on. She would heat the browned meat in the tomato juice and then let it simmer while she cooked the spaghetti in another large sauce pan, having added about two teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of butter or one tablespoon of olive oil to keep the spaghetti from sticking. She would cook the spaghetti at a rolling boil, stirring often,  for seven to ten minutes or until tender. Then she would drain the spaghetti thoroughly and add it to the hot tomato juice mixture and blend and heat together for maybe five minutes, bringing it to a slight boil. Then she would turn off the heat and pour all the mixture into a large, greased glass baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. It might help if you would use a glass baking dish that has a lid or if you would cover the top with foil. Try to have the foil suspended across the top as the acid in the tomato juice can react with the foil or stick upon contact. If you prefer more of a tomato taste or thickness in the sauce, you might blend in a 13-oz. can of tomato paste or add drained, stewed tomatoes to the sauce. This is a dish our guests always liked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)