Tex-Mex Veggie Hoagies from the Betty Crocker site!
- hoagie buns, split
- slices (3/4 oz each) Monterey Jack cheese, cut diagonally in half
- cup finely chopped cucumber
- cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- cup Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa
- teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño chile
- teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoon salt
- medium tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- medium green bell pepper, finely chopped (1 cup)
- medium green onions, thinly sliced (2 tablespoons)
- 1Scoop out bread from bottoms of buns; reserve for another use. Line bottom of each bun with 2 triangles of cheese.
- 2In medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Divide evenly among buns. Serve immediately.
Use hoagie buns or other buns with a firm, crusty outside. This filling is moist, so soft breads, such as hot dog buns, aren't the best choice.
These sandwiches are packed with enough veggies to count as a serving of vegetables. Use reduced-fat mayonnaise and reduced-fat cheese to trim the fat to 11 grams and the calories to 380 per sandwich.
Savor the heat of Southwest cooking. Use a little more jalapeño chile, and add a hot shot by using medium or hot salsa.