Collard Greens and Turkey Quiche from the Betty Crocker site!
- large collard green leaves
- cup water
- cup chopped cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 1/2
- cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- cup whipping (heavy) cream
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4
- cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- teaspoon salt
- cup firm butter or margarine
- tablespoons shortening
- egg, slightly beaten
- to 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Wash collard green leaves. Cut off long stem at the base of each leaf; carefully shave the remaining thick stem. In 2-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling. Cook leaves in boiling water about 3 minutes or until slightly softened; drain. Dry leaves with paper towels and flatten. Chop collard greens.
- 2In small bowl, stir together flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter and shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in egg and cold water until pastry clings together. Shape into a ball; flatten. Roll between sheets of waxed paper. Peel off top sheet. Turn pastry into ungreased 9-inch pie plate or quiche pan; remove other sheet. Press edge of pastry with fork for decoration.
- 3Arrange collard greens and turkey in shell. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. In small bowl, beat eggs, whipping cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, using fork, until blended. Pour into shell. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 4Bake quiche 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 20 minutes. Cut into wedges. Store covered in refrigerator.
Use Betty Crocker® pie crust mix for the scratch pie crust in this recipe and save time.