Cajun Catfish from the Betty Crocker site!
- cups vegetable oil
- cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- cup stone-ground cornmeal
- tablespoons Cajun Creole seasoning
- teaspoon onion powder
- teaspoon garlic powder
- teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- pounds catfish nuggets, skin removed
- cup lemon juice
- 1In heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat to 375°F.
- 2In shallow dish, stir together flour, cornmeal, Creole seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper. In another shallow dish, beat egg with fork until foamy.
- 3Sprinkle catfish nuggets with salt and lemon juice. Dip each nugget into beaten egg, then roll in flour mixture to coat. Drop 4 to 6 nuggets at a time into hot oil. Cook 2 minutes; turn and cook 1 minute longer or until deep golden brown. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels.
If you can't find catfish nuggets at your supermarket, you can purchase 2 pounds of catfish fillets and cut them into about 2-inch pieces.
A staple in Georgia and Mississippi, fried catfish morsels are dynamite dunked in tangy tartar sauce and served with coleslaw and baked beans.
PREP TIME 40 Min
TOTAL TIME 40 Min