Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

What kinds of kitchen injuries have you gotten?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

Your Kitchen Is a Danger Zone: Don't Make These Mistakes

Posted by Adriana Velezon August 7, 2012 

kitchen knife

So I was perusing this fun little post on Six Common Kitchen Injuries today. Emergency Room professionals were asked what kinds of kitchen injuries they see most often -- and what people should do about them. Gee, it brought back such memories. Ah, what fun times I've had, mauling myself while cooking. The blood, the burns, the tears. It's been real.

I'm not sure how I haven't ended up in the emergency room by now. My son has -- but I'll get to that later. Let me tell you about my sad history with knives.

It started when I was 13 and my parents brought home a giant wheel of sheep's milk cheese. I decided the best way to cut myself a slice would be to cut across the top with a steak knife. I was very clever to hold onto the other side of the cheese with my other hand so that when my knife inevitably slipped it would sink right into the side of my thumb. Nice! This was right before school, and because I was raised by a hard-ass mom I wrapped my cut up with toilet paper, stuffed it into a mitten, and toddled off to school like it was no big deal.

Then there were the crusty bread incidents. I've done this two or three times -- because I'm a slow learner, obviously. I have a nice, big chef's knife. But unfortunately that's not going to work for a big crusty loaf. But I'm persistent! For years I kept trying to slice crusty loaves with the wrong knife, my fingers splayed all over the place.

My favorite cut was the time I nearly divided one fingertip in half just before I had to leave for a meeting. What did I do? Same thing as usual: Wrapped it up in toilet paper and toddled off like nothing had happened. (I know now you should see a doctor within 12 hours of cutting yourself.)

But as I sat through that meeting with my throbbing finger a light finally went off in my head. And I came to two important realizations:

1. It is time to invest in a proper bread knife with a serrated edge.
  2. It is time I learn how to cut food without cutting myself.

I am not a cutter! So I bought a proper bread knife, and I took an amazing knife skills class that swear-to-god, totally changed my life. But alas, I had also reproduced. And one day my plucky then-five-year-old climbed up onto the sink to reach for a mango hanging in a basket right by where a brand-new food processor blade was drying.

There was screaming. And there was blood. So much blood.

We rushed him to the hospital where he got seven stitches into the side of his poor little hand. And that's when I decided I need to put a stop to our sad family legacy of accidents in the kitchen. I've been teaching him knife safety ever since. Anyway, you should definitely check out that list of kitchen injuries.

What kinds of kitchen injuries have you gotten?

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dsmills8668
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Idiot me was making hush puppies..I had thought the oil was cool enough and ran water into the oil...it EXPLODED! all over me, the walls, everything...obviously I don't work with oil a lot. I had 2nd degree burns on my arm and hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Burns, small knife cuts, grease splatters

Vipergirl22
by Jessica on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Hmm, well when I first started dating dh he went to work with me and my mom. I helped her out where she made lunches for an office and I was cutting tomatoes and well I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and in went the knife, through the tomato and into my thumb..it was a nasty cut. I can still see the scare. I have had multiple cuts and burns from being in the kitchen. I have a scar on my fingertip from a can of beans. Nearly sliced my fingertip off a few weeks ago...nail bed stopped the knife. Lol needless to say I am learning to keep my fingers curled on top of what I am cutting.

C_Florentine
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The only major thing that happened to me was a burn.. I was a teen and I was making my friend fish sticks.  I was terribly sick and exhausted and when I reached in the oven to pull them out, I burned my arm on the top of the inside of the oven! I still have the scar and I blame her ;) lol

VanBurren
by Beth on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I've had the usual burns from the oven and cuts from using dull knives.  I've also had the stinging eyes from rubbing them after handling peppers or hot spices. 

The worst for me, though, involved opening a can of cat food.  I used the can opener, stopping just shy of where I started.  When I lifted the lid, it was still hanging on, so like an idiot, I didn't want to get my fingers dirty on the inside face of the lid, so I grabbed it on both sides around the cut edge and tugged.  Yep....huge gash on my ring finger, passed out in the kitchen floor because of all the blood.  Ended up with four stitches.  What a goober.  LOL

snuggiewoogie
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Burns and knife cuts...... Oh I did smash my head in the kitchen once when I was putting groceries away. I bend down to put something away and when I came back up I smashed my head really really hard into a cabinet door that was open. Man that really sucked I had a huge knot on my head for days! Ugh!

LancesMom
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Oh boy I cut myself bad with a knife trying to open a dumb package. I should have used scissors for! =(

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Occasional nicks and cuts, minor burns.  Nothing too severe.

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I have had minor burns and cuts. One time I was taken the seeds out of a hot pepper and burnt my finger.  It didn't realize you could do that. It hurt pretty bad.

junebaby11
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:40 AM
I was washing the inside of a glass and it bust which cut my hand up, picked a hot pan up with only half a potholder ouchy =(, sliced my finger open with cling flim box, ive burned myself several times with grease
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN