Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Favorite/weirdest homemade salad dressing?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have this really weird cucumber I grew in my garden, an avocado and some heavy cream to use up. It's so hot I immediately tried to look up salad dressing recipes (kinda' sounds like the ingredients for green goddess or something) but found nothing with those ingredients.

So just for fun...What are your weirdest and/or favorite salad dressings?

**OK-so I took my cucumbers (I actually had two totally different kinds from my garden), peeled them and removed the seeds. Then I threw them in the food processor with 2 dry packets of Ranch dip, some mayonnaise and about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. It was pretty runny so I added about 1/2 a carton of *gasp* cottage cheese. Once it was thoroughly blended I had a smooth, thick and creamy Cucumber Ranch dressing that my family is still talking about! We will have it on our salad again tonight and then I'll probably have to toss it but it is the best darn salad dressing I've ever tried. A little thicker and it would have been the perfect dip!**

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I eat either Ranch, italian, or Catalina.  I don't make any homemade.  All of them have to be Kraft dressings.  Well, Newman's Own makes some really good Ranch too.

pandamom268
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I like Kraft products too. Their dressings are really good but I'll try any brand if it sounds interesting. There's this one brand, I can't think what it's called but they have a very pretty tall glass bottle with gold foil and they make some unusual flavors like champagne raspberry vinaigrette. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I eat either Ranch, italian, or Catalina.  I don't make any homemade.  All of them have to be Kraft dressings.  Well, Newman's Own makes some really good Ranch too.

perezamberly
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that sounds awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I like ranch but use fat free italian

elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I use fat free cottage cheese as a base a lot of times instead of sour cream. It has more protein. Your recipe sounds super yummy.
beadingmom17
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
This vinegarette stuff my aunt makes...so good! It's 3/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tsp lawry's seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp dill, 1 clove garlic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pandamom268
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I like to cook with Italian. Throw some veggies in a pan with a little Italian dressing and bake for and hour or so. Ever try that? Good stuff!

Quoting mrswillie:

pandamom268
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Thanks it was delish! I still have some left and I'm wondering if I can freeze it? Anyway, I also love using fat free cottage cheese as a sub for sour cream. I use it in lasagna and homemade mac and cheese, too. It makes the recipes creamier. I have thrown it in plenty of soups as well to make them creamier/richer. I love incorporating ingredients I already have into recipes for a new twist.

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I use fat free cottage cheese as a base a lot of times instead of sour cream. It has more protein. Your recipe sounds super yummy.

pandamom268
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Sounds lovely! I can barely get my family to eat a hot bacon vinaigrette on a spinach salad. They're not vinaigrette people. They're bad for you/fattening food people, LOL, so it's a constant struggle to keep us on the right path. *sigh* We are a work in progress.

Quoting beadingmom17:

This vinegarette stuff my aunt makes...so good! It's 3/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tsp lawry's seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp dill, 1 clove garlic

mrswillie
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pandamom268:

I like to cook with Italian. Throw some veggies in a pan with a little Italian dressing and bake for and hour or so. Ever try that? Good stuff!

Quoting mrswillie:

Yes. It is also great for a meat marinade, alone or as a base.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN