Even though we are swiftly approaching Labor Day and the summer is starting to wind down (noooo!), there are still plenty of opportunities to get outside and entertain. Whether you're throwing a party for four or 54, there's no crowd pleaser like an out-of-this-world spinach artichoke dip. Doesn't matter that it's totally been done before ... Everyone seems to love the creamy app!
Although there are a bazillion ways to make it, The Pioneer Woman has one recipe in particular she swears by. She's even given gone so far as to say that it's "The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip Ever." Strong words! But I venture to guess that once you read it, your mouth will be watering so much that you'll have to whip up a batch ASAP!
The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip Ever from ThePioneerWoman.com
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 bag spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, rinsed & drained
- 3 tablespoons butter (additional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cup whole milk (more If Needed)
- 1 package (8-ounce) softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 3/4 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Extra grated pepper jack
- Pita wedges, tortilla chips, and/or crackers
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Crank up the heat a bit and throw in the spinach. Stir around and cook for a couple of minutes until the spinach wilts. Remove the spinach from the skillet and put it in a small strainer. Squeeze the excess juice back into the skillet. Set the spinach aside.
- Throw in the artichokes and cook over medium high heat for several minutes, until liquid is cooked off and artichokes start to get a little color. Remove the artichokes.
- In the same skillet or a different pot, melt 3 additional tablespoons of butter and whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour until it makes a paste. Cook over medium-low heat for a minute or two, then pour in milk. Stir and cook until slightly thickened; splash in more milk if needed.
- Add cream cheese, feta, Parmesan, pepper jack, and cayenne and stir until cheese are melted and sauce is smooth. Chop artichokes and spinach and add to the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour into buttered baking dish. Top with extra grated pepper jack and bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with pita wedges, chips, or crackers.