Daily Crock Pot Recipe! (Slow Cooker Stuffed Zucchini)
I found this recipe this morning at allrecipes.com. It's one of my favorite recipe sites!
SLOW COOKER STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- 2 large zucchini, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon white sugar (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Scoop out flesh from the zucchini halves, leaving shells about 1/8 inch thick. (Zucchini flesh may be saved for another use.)
- Place tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, basil leaves, Italian herb seasoning, and sugar into a food processor and pulse until blended, about 1 minute. Set mixture aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sausage to skillet and cook, stirring often, until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato mixture and heat until simmering; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Place hollowed-out zucchini shells into the bottom of a large slow cooker, trimming them to fit if necessary. Spoon the sausage mixture into the shells, cover the cooker, and cook on High until tender, about 6 hours. Remove cover and spread a layer of mozzarella cheese over each stuffed zucchini. Cover and cook on High until cheese has melted, about 10 more minutes.