Teriyaki Roast Chicken and Squash from the Betty Crocker site!
- whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 lb)
- medium butternut squash (2 lb), unpeeled, cut into 4 pieces
- tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon garlic powder
- teaspoon ground ginger
- teaspoon pepper
- tablespoons teriyaki baste and glaze
- tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1Heat oven to 375°F. Brush whole chicken and squash pieces with butter; sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, ginger and pepper. Place chicken in shallow roasting pan; set squash aside. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into chicken so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh and does not touch bone.
- 2Roast chicken uncovered 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix teriyaki baste and glaze with juice concentrate.
- 3Remove chicken from oven. Arrange squash around chicken; brush teriyaki mixture over chicken and squash.
- 4Return to oven; roast uncovered 20 minutes. Brush remaining teriyaki mixture over chicken and squash; cover chicken loosely with foil. Roast 25 to 40 minutes longer or until squash is tender, and thermometer in chicken reads 180°F and legs move easily when lifted or twisted. Garnish with orange wedges, if desired.
Quartered buttercup or halves of acorn squash would also be delicious in this dish.