Apple Spice Cupcakes With Sweet Frosting Are the Perfect Fall Treat
Well, it happened. Fall is officially here. Well, maybe not officially, as the start of the season is September 22, but it feels like fall. The kids are back in school; temperatures have dropped; and Halloween decorations abound at every drug store. And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? Let's embrace the season, shall we? At least food-wise. Let's make delicious Apple Spice Cupcakes with Super Sweet Frosting. It's the perfect treat to ease you in to the season -- and the perfect treat to make with the kids!
More from The Stir: Super Girly Funfetti Blondies With Tickle-Me-Pink Frosting
Apple Spice Cupcakes With Cider Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from Epicurious
For the cupcakes
- 3 cups unpasteurized apple cider
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits and softened
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1. In a large saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups and let it cool. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together the shortening and the sugar until the mixture is fluffy and beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
Make the icing:
2. Spread each cupcake with some of the icing.