Tex-Mex Macaroni and Cheese from the Betty Crocker site!
- cups uncooked elbow macaroni (12 oz)
- tablespoons butter
- tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- cups half-and-half
- cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (12 oz)
- teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- jar (12 oz) roasted red bell peppers, drained, chopped
- can (4 oz) Old El Paso® whole green chiles, drained, chopped
- cup crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
- 1Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package.
- 2Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour with whisk until smooth; cook 1 minute. Add half-and-half, cheese, cumin, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 3Add cooked macaroni, roasted peppers and chiles; toss to combine. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.
To intensify the Tex-Mex flavor, use shredded Mexican blend cheese instead of Cheddar and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce.
We prefer the consistency of whole green chiles, but you can use a 4.5-oz can of Old El Paso® chopped green chiles.