Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Easy Dinner Ideas that don't break the budget

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM
  • 32 Replies

Ok, so about 2 monthes ago I had a wonderful newborn baby, and as much of a blessing as he's been I've been struggling in doing housework, and cooking! I need more recipes rather than quick spaghetti or chili...hubby is a super picky eater (I love chili (when I make it he has to suck it up, lol) he won't eat beans as a main meat). When I go shopping, normally chicken, ground beef, canned tomatos/mushrooms, onions, cheese, is on my list.

I do not own a crock pot (and to my military wife friends it's absolute blasphemy! lol)

I appreciate all help and you ladies taking the time to write down your thoughts and recipes, I really appreciate it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM

There is a great recipe for a chicken casserole here ,
Also how about some hearty soups?  Taco soup, potato & ham soup .. does he like those?
Honestly try to get a crockp pot too <g>
Am sure others will have more ideas :)

Join us at
Time Out for You

Bmat
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

meatloaf is easy, and you can use leftovers for sandwiches, soups, pasta sauces.

hisarmycowgirl
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

OOoo, I didn't even think of meatloaf: I love that! I think the last time I made it though DH had like two slices, and was done with it...can you tell I'm the opposite of picky? LOL

You're right: I totally should get a crock pot: but everytime I go to get it, I end up buying something else...I think it's a mommy thing, haha.

I've tried making soups (chicken noodle, 3-bean (major failure, there, lol), brunswick stew) and none of them appease the mighty appetite of DH. Although my grandma made an amazing brunswick stew, that he gobbled down like nobodies business....BUT to make that it costs upwards of 20-30 for the ingrediants (and that's because I shop at the commisary on post..). Our food budget every other week is only 120.

Bmat
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I agree get a crockpot. I got one for $10 on sale at walmart a few years ago.

Quoting hisarmycowgirl:

OOoo, I didn't even think of meatloaf: I love that! I think the last time I made it though DH had like two slices, and was done with it...can you tell I'm the opposite of picky? LOL

You're right: I totally should get a crock pot: but everytime I go to get it, I end up buying something else...I think it's a mommy thing, haha.

I've tried making soups (chicken noodle, 3-bean (major failure, there, lol), brunswick stew) and none of them appease the mighty appetite of DH. Although my grandma made an amazing brunswick stew, that he gobbled down like nobodies business....BUT to make that it costs upwards of 20-30 for the ingrediants (and that's because I shop at the commisary on post..). Our food budget every other week is only 120.

Kainalu55
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

i highly suggest getting a crockpot!!  You can get one for less than $20 at Walmart!

snuggiewoogie
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I would get a Crockpot! lol...

pandamom268
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

*beating dead horse* Crockpot!

Does dh eat any pasta or only spaghetti? There are a lot of pasta variations out there that don't cost much to make, like goulash, pasta carbonara, primavera etc. How about chicken and rice? There was a really good basic chicken and rice casserole here yesterday that sounded easy and nice.

I like Allrecipes for recipes. There's a place to plug in your ingrediants and it spits out possible recipe matches. Try that!

pandamom268
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I thought of one! How about Shepherd's Pie? It's basically ground meat (any kind but beef and lamb are traditional) mixed with peas and carrots and topped with mashed potatoes and cheese.

Is dh a meat and potatoes guy? How about Mexican food, will he eat that? If you get a chance to respond back I can dig up some actual recipes, and if I think of anything else I'll post again!

hisarmycowgirl
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Shephards pie sounds friggin GENIUS. He's a BIG time meat and potatoes guy (he's ALWAYS begging for mashed potatos and some kind of meat.) It's so simple...and purely epic! I'm so glad you reminded me of this dish: defintely making today! (well, with the substitution of chicken since that's whats currently thawed! haha) DH only likes CERTAIN mexican dishes (like enchiladas, empanadas, fajitas...tacos are a no go unless their soft shell (which is basically enchiladas lol)

And I know everyone said the crock pot...and y'all are totally right. I am definitely going to look up online some cheap ones and just go ahead and buy one. Been putting it off for way too long...lol

Quoting pandamom268:

I thought of one! How about Shepherd's Pie? It's basically ground meat (any kind but beef and lamb are traditional) mixed with peas and carrots and topped with mashed potatoes and cheese.

Is dh a meat and potatoes guy? How about Mexican food, will he eat that? If you get a chance to respond back I can dig up some actual recipes, and if I think of anything else I'll post again!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Check out skinnytaste.com and pinterest :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN