California Black Bean Burgers from the Betty Crocker site!
- can (15 ounces) black beans with cumin and chili spices, undrained
- can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- cup plain dry bread crumbs
- egg, beaten
- cup yellow cornmeal
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- hamburger buns, toasted
- tablespoon mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 1/4
- cups shredded lettuce
- tablespoons thick-and-chunky salsa
- 1Place beans in food processor or blender. Cover and process until slightly mashed; remove from food processor. Mix beans, chilies, bread crumbs and egg. Shape mixture into 5 patties, each about 1/2 inch thick. Coat each patty with cornmeal.
- 2Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook patties in oil 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until crisp and thoroughly cooked on both sides.
- 3Spread bottom halves of buns with mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, patties, salsa and tops of buns.
Coating the patties with cornmeal gives them a delicious crispy coating. If the seasoned black beans aren't available, use unseasoned black beans and add one teaspoon chili powder.