Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Rice Help Please

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

Does anybody know how to cook rice in a crockpot?  Any good recipes?  I got a 20 pound bag of rice, but no rice cooker, and these next few weeks are going to be hectic and having that rice in the crockpot would be an amazing help!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
edelweiss23
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM
You can cook rice on the stovetop as well.
1 cup rice to 2 cups water!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM

LOL

I know.  I just really won't have much time this week with DH's schedule to plan meals.  It would be nice to come home to rice and just reheat something to pour over it, kwim?

Quoting edelweiss23:

edelweiss23
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM
I have one recipie that used rice in a crockpot. It's a thick creamy chicken soup with rice.

I would love to cook rice in the crock pot as well.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to cook rice!! I have just had to walk my ex husbands sister through how to cook rice in the stove. This is the same girl who put a metal bowl in my microwave while babysitting while I was at work.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

LOL

I know.  I just really won't have much time this week with DH's schedule to plan meals.  It would be nice to come home to rice and just reheat something to pour over it, kwim?

Quoting edelweiss23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Don't worry, it made me chuckle.  I am a fan of sarcasm and such. 

Yeah, my main thing is our friends just gifted us a 20 pound bag of rice, and with the crazy week coming up I thought "Hey, let's see if I can find a good way to use this!"  I googled a bit, but overall I'm not sure of what I'm finding.  The reviews say it comes out too goopy or the rice on bottom gets crispy, kwim?  I'm going to keep looking, so I'll let you know if I find anything.

I've also let my family and friends know if they have a rice cooker collecting dust I'd put it to good use!  We all love passing around our unused gadgets for more useful ones.  I guess the family trades a lot.  :)

Quoting edelweiss23:

I have one recipie that used rice in a crockpot. It's a thick creamy chicken soup with rice.

I would love to cook rice in the crock pot as well.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to cook rice!! I have just had to walk my ex husbands sister through how to cook rice in the stove. This is the same girl who put a metal bowl in my microwave while babysitting while I was at work.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

LOL

Quoting edelweiss23:

Derari
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I wouldn't leave rice in that thing all day...rice is the easiest thing to do, barely takes 15 mins on the stove...while you are washing up etc it could be cookingbandveven done by the time ou sit down.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I'm kind of hoping to find some good rice casseroles or soups that use it.  I don't need all day, but if I can assemble it when I have time and turn on the crock pot, then turn it off or warm after a few hours, that would be awesome.

DH is military, and I won't know when he'll be home to eat.  I'm trying to get stuff ready to feed him anytime of teh day or night.  Just some training he's refreshing on, but there is no "schedule."  And it's colder, so I wanted hot meals.

I have a pot of stew portioned out in the freezer already, and a few containers of sloppy joe stuff.  Making some spaghetti tonight to portion out and chill/freeze.  Bonus:  Whatever he doesn't end up using I can use later when I'm in a hurry!

Quoting Derari:

I wouldn't leave rice in that thing all day...rice is the easiest thing to do, barely takes 15 mins on the stove...while you are washing up etc it could be cookingbandveven done by the time ou sit down.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Most slow recipes that call for rice that I have seen often say add the rice about 15 mins before serving. Good luck! 

snuggiewoogie
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I have never tried rice in the crockpot :( Sorry!

Derari
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

If you cook it one day, it should be good 3 days in the fridge. You can do Chinese fried rice, you can make a beef stew and pour it over the rice (leftover stew is good, the gravy thickens the next day), if you have chicken breast you can cut that into portions and serve over the dice. I marinate my meat when I buy it, and then freeze it...saves time when cooking.
suetoo
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Why don't you just dump 1 cup rice and two cups water in on low and see what happens? We like refried rice, so I make extra to fry in butter and olive oil the next day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN