Swiss Steak Casserole from the Betty Crocker site!
- tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon paprika
- teaspoon pepper
- lb boneless beef round steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- cups sliced mushrooms
- cup frozen pearl onions
- clove garlic, finely chopped
- cups sliced carrots (8 medium)
- can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, mix flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add steak; toss to coat. In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add steak, reserving remaining flour mixture; brown steak on all sides. Spoon into ungreased 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- 2To same skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until browned; add to casserole. Add carrots, tomatoes and reserved flour mixture; mix well.
- 3Cover casserole. Bake 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are fork-tender.
Take some help from the grocery store. Look for packages of sliced carrots and mushrooms in the produce section to save time.
Serve this saucy meat and vegetable mixture with mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice.