We loved the way the fresh tastes of cilantro and lime brightened the flavor of canned tuna in this Mexican-style sandwich created by Jennifer Lira. To seed tomatoes, cut in half crosswise; squeeze out and discard seeds and juice. If desired, garnish sandwiches with lettuce leaves.
Yield: Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 can (6 oz.) solid white tuna packed in water
- 4 ounces Roma tomates, rinsed, seeded, cured, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 2 fresh serrano chilies or other small hot chilies, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sandwich rolls (3 oz. each), split in half horizontally
- 1. Drain tuna well; flake into a bowl with a fork. Stir in tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, onion, chilies, and salt.
- 2. Mound tuna equally on sandwich roll bottoms and set tops in place.