Fresh ginger delivers a bit of spice to this traditional Italian cookie. Gingerbread Biscotti are perfect with a warm cup of joe, spiced cider, or hot chocolate.
Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1/2½ cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 8 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating well. Beat in eggs.
- 2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in almonds and crystallized ginger.
- 3. Divide dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each portion into a log 3 inches wide and 1 inch high. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- 4. Bake 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to a wire rack, and set aside until cool to the touch. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- 5. Cut each log crosswise into 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife. Place slices on ungreased cookie sheets.
- 6. Bake 7 minutes; turn cookies over, and bake 7 more minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 7. Dip ends of biscotti in melted white chocolate. Place biscotti on wax paper until chocolate hardens.