1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlc, minced
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1 Tb. chili powder
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, with juice
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
4. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with the spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and chili powder, and cook for 1 minute more.
6. Add the black-eyed peas, tomatoes and chicken broth or water.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring a few times, until the ingredients soften and meld, 20 minutes.
8. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro leaves.