Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Cinnamon Roll, Apple Pie Mash Up

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

Cinnamon Roll, Apple Pie Mash Up

Crumb Topping

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
Crust
1 can (12.4 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
Filling
6 medium Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1. Heat oven to 375┬░F. In medium bowl, mix Crumb Topping ingredients with fork until large clumps form. Refrigerate. Spoon icing from can of rolls into small microwavable bowl; cover and refrigerate.
  • 2 Lightly flour rolling pin and work surface or cutting board. Separate dough into 8 rolls. With rolling pin, roll each cinnamon roll, cinnamon side up, into 4- to 5-inch round.
  • 3. In ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate, place 1 dough round in center. Arrange remaining 7 dough rounds around center round and up side of plate, overlapping slightly as necessary. With fingers, press dough to seal together in bottom and up side of pie plate to form crust. Flute edge.
  • 4. In large bowl, gently mix Filling ingredients. Spoon filling into cinnamon roll-lined pie plate. Sprinkle crumb topping over top to completely cover filling.
  • 5. Bake about 1 hour or until top is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on cooling rack at least 1 hour.
  • 6. Before serving, microwave icing on High 10 to 15 seconds or until runny enough to drizzle. Drizzle back and forth over top of pie.
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I have every thing to make this. Going to for breakfast tomorrow. 

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I want some right now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

That looks so good!  Using cinnamon roll dough as a crust might just be one of the most brilliant things I've ever heard of!

VanBurren
by Beth on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I have every thing to make this. Going to for breakfast tomorrow. 

Did you try it this morning?

VanBurren
by Beth on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Quoting taniamorse85:

That looks so good!  Using cinnamon roll dough as a crust might just be one of the most brilliant things I've ever heard of!

It is pretty clever......even though I love to cook and can create some dishes on my own, I would never think to use cinnamon roll dough as a crust.  Guess I'm not as creative as I think I am....LOL

elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I am making this tomorrow morning for breakfast...bump so I can update!

newmom121812
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Omfg yummy I need to go to the store for the stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I made it this morning.  I did cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg for the applie pie spice. I am not a fan of cloves. I used a small brownie pan, and not a pie pan. And I think I spread the cinnamon roll a little thinner than called for, but I wanted it a little less dense. I was afraid of baking through. The cinnamon roll tube I had, was caramel frosting. So I drizzled that on the top. Then I made up my own frosting with powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream(just because I had some). It was really good. Oh and because we love things cinnamony, I put some cinnamon in the toppign too. 

I am going to double it, and put it in a 13x9 pan and bring to church potluck :) 

VanBurren
by Beth on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I made it this morning.  I did cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg for the applie pie spice. I am not a fan of cloves. I used a small brownie pan, and not a pie pan. And I think I spread the cinnamon roll a little thinner than called for, but I wanted it a little less dense. I was afraid of baking through. The cinnamon roll tube I had, was caramel frosting. So I drizzled that on the top. Then I made up my own frosting with powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream(just because I had some). It was really good. Oh and because we love things cinnamony, I put some cinnamon in the toppign too. 

I am going to double it, and put it in a 13x9 pan and bring to church potluck :) 

Awesome....good enough for the church potluck!  Yay!  I'm going to make note of your changes on my copy I printed off.  (I'm not much for cloves, either.)

elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Its rich. Its not for those that like a light sweet, lol. But I would imagine that is assumed given the ingredients. I love sweet things, so it was fine to me! I am taking ti tonight to potluck, with a homemade mac and cheese. YUM

Quoting VanBurren:

Quoting elijahsmama09:

Awesome....good enough for the church potluck!  Yay!  I'm going to make note of your changes on my copy I printed off.  (I'm not much for cloves, either.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)