Golden Potato-Leek Soup with Cheddar Toasts from the My Recipes site!
Yukon gold potatoes are the key ingredient to give the soup rich, buttery flavor. This makes a generous amount, so share the bounty with friends or freeze half of the batch for a future meal.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup soup and 1 toast)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 medium)
- 6 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14-ounce) cans organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Cheddar Toasts:
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut sourdough French bread baguette
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare soup, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).
- Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and 2 thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- To prepare cheddar toasts, place baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes or until toasted. Turn slices over; coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each slice. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle evenly with red pepper.
- Remove pan from heat; discard thyme sprigs. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in cream. Sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with cheddar toasts. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM