Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Italian Poultry and Spinach Roll

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 1 Replies

Italian Poultry and Spinach Roll Recipe from the roseybearboutique site!

Ingredients

Meat Roll
1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. ground chicken
1 c. low sodium bread crumbs
⅓ c. shredded Italian cheese blend
2 eggs
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Spinach Filling
1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1¼ c. shredded Italian cheese blend
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 14½ oz. can no salt added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a roasting rack into a broiler or roasting pan. Spray rack lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Add about ½ inch of water to the bottom of the roasting pan. Lay out a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface for later. You will use this once you create your meat mixture.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together all of the Meat Roll ingredients until blended. Turn the mixture out onto the parchment paper and pat into a 10×14 inch rectangle.
  3. In a small bowl, mix the Filling ingredients with a fork until blended. Spread the spinach mixture over the meat, leaving ¾ inch margin around the edges. Pick up one of the 10-inch edges of the parchment paper and roll it over onto itself. Continue rolling up firmly, all the way to the other end, peeling back the parchment paper as you go. Pinch along the seam and the ends, sealing them up to keep the filling inside. Carefully pick up the roll and place it seam side down on the roasting rack in the roasting pan.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until the roll is cooked through and the juices run clear, approximately 50 minutes. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roll should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) when done. Remove pan from oven and let stand.
  5. Pour the tomatoes into a microwave safe container and heat until warm. Remove the roll from the pan and place it on a platter. Pour the warmed tomatoes over the top of the roll. Serve hot.

Notes:

This is an awesome recipe that I’ve perfected over time to meet my family’s low sodium needs as well as their tastes.

It’s not really that bad for preparation time at only about 20 minutes, but it does take about an hour to cook, so it’s not one that I make when I have negative 10 minutes to prepare dinner! My kids LOVE spinach, so believe it or not, this is one of their favorites. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they think it looks cool, and we know that presentation is everything!

This dish is great served with steamed carrots and brown rice for a well balanced meal. During the summer, instead of using canned tomatoes, try substituting your own diced fresh tomatoes and add some Italian seasoning and garlic. When the tomatoes are fresh, I don’t heat them before putting them on top — just use them at room temperature. Yummy!

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
VanBurren
by Beth on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Mmmmm....that's pretty tasty-looking! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN