Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with finding new meals for my lactose intolerant, vegetarian, 5 year old

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter and I are both vegetarians, I've recently become a vegan, but I wasn't planning on switching her to a vegan diet with me until I feel I have it all down, balanced, and experimented with.

But she recently became lactose intolerant (it runs in my family), which I'm ok with, seeing as I believe its healthier in the long run. None this less, this has thrown me a bit when it comes to meal planning for her, as I was banking on having a little more time and experience before juggling the switch for both of our diets.

I'm curious to see if anyone, expecially anyone with experience with something similar, had any suggestions? Anything from just lactose-intolerant friendly recipes, ideas, suggestions to vegan ones would be most welcome for DD.

Thanks bunches in advanced!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I wish I could be more help, while I am slightly lactose intolerant myself I just don't drink milk, eat ice cream & limit my cheese in take. Also I am not a vegetarian.

There are a some really tofu recipes posted in the group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114484/forums/search_posts.php?keyword=tofu&days=0&submit=Search

A good site for more vegetarian recipes is:

http://www.myrecipes.com/vegetarian-recipes/

Also I will feture this post in hopes that some of the other moms have some ideas. If you have any great vegan/vegetarian recipes I encourage you to post them. 

ravenstears
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah thank you so much! And I'll do that :)

warmcoffee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Not lactose intolerant and not vegan - but I am looking for a variety of healtheir recipes to follow. Today, I had a salad that an associate who is a vegetarian made and it was great - plan on making it myself soon. I don't have the quantity of ingredients, but it is as follows:

kale, chard, red/green peppers and mango

Dressing: Lime juice, olive oil,garlic, a pinch of chili powder (chili peppers can also be used I was told, but of course they will more than likely be too hot for your daughter) - but the pinch of chili powder I don't think will be too hot - I have to watch my spice intake, especially with hot/spicy and it was perfect for me that's why I'm saying a 'pinch' will just be to add flavor.  If you and dd are into salads, this is a good one. I'll have to connect with my pal to get the exact quantities, but there are plenty of lime dressing recipes on line.

There was also a vegan chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and spriinkles and it was amazing. It was the first time I had vegan cake, and I am definitely going to be searching for vegan cake recipes :) - I had no idea it could be so good! There was also a regular very rich chocolate cake and I really liked the vegan one better. Not that the regular one was not good, but the vegan one was better tasting and lighter to the taste buds.

Update:

Another is the Sunburst Salad (because of the shredded carrots) - there's lots of versions of the sunburst salad, but I like using iceberg lettuce and spinach leaves, tomatoes and cucumbers, red peppers and shredded carrots with an olive oil and lemon juice dressing - or the dressing above would be good also. Mangos added to this recipe is really good too - some people add raisins (I'm not a raisin fan when it comes to salads - but everyone is different).

I pretty much plan on going salad crazy this year using different greens (such as kale and mustard greens and spinach) in combination with lettuce to make whatever salad comes to mind (with discretion of course - no raisins for me). And making a variety of dressings with olive oil, fruit juices and garlic. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it :)

snuggiewoogie
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Oh no.... Hope you find some stuff!

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I totally forgot about this site yesterday & it might be the best one:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)