Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insulin pump while on vacation (posted to other groups)

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 521 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you wear your insulin pump in the water?

Options:

Yes, and I've never had any problems

Yes, but I've had some problems with it

No

I don't wear an insulin pump

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

Hi all!  I am so excited to be going on vacation in Myrtle Beach next week, but this will be a first for me while on an insulin pump. 

I'm wondering if there is anything special I should do other than check my pumps water tightness, have lots of extra supplies and lower my basal rates during higher activity.  My nurse educators told me not to take the pump in the water, even if it is supposed to be water proof.  I have an Animas 1250 that is about 1 year and 1/2 old.  Have any of you gone in the water with yours?  I plan on swimming in the ocean and in the pool.  Should I take off the pump when I'm in the water and then come out and check my glucose and give correction boluses if needed?  Should I switch to Lantus injections for the week?  I'm also wondering about how to keep my infusion site stuck with all the moisture.  I don't know the best way to approach this, so I'm hoping some of you experienced pumpers can give me some suggestions and help me out!  Thanks girls!

- Erica

Fans of The Fault Line - Group Owner

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13337

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pauliebear
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:02 PM
I have the same pump and my educator swears it is waterproof.  I, however, never wear mine in the water due to increased activity levels and more possible lows.  Also, you can cover it with the veni-gard things that the company sends normally.  Make sure to definitely take more infusion sets!!!  Also, make sure and plug the site when the pump is not attached.  If the catheter is fairly new (1 day or so) I find it stays fine, but if it is toard the third day it is less sticky.

You can definitely bolus!!!
luvmygirls05
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2007 at 1:07 AM
I am sure this is late for your vacation ...but I have a MiniMed insulin pump (3yrs old)...I have went white water rafting and swiming with my pump...I just wrap it in some GLAD Press -N- Seal...I just make sure I seal it real well esp. around the tube that is coming out of the Glad wrap...I tuck it in my bathing suite top...usually stays drier than my bottoms...I check on it every so often and make sure it is dry inside the wrap(just by looking I do not unwrap). This has worked well for me and saves on the stickes from checking my bg every time I get out of the water. Hope this helps!! Michelle
RBJN
by on Aug. 17, 2007 at 2:31 PM
I wear it in a swimming pool, but haven't worn it in the ocean yet.....we vacation in Emerald Isle, NC every summer.  I just take it off if I am going to go far into the water.  I keep it on if I am only going to be waist high.  Just remember to take LOTS of extra sites....as the salt water will make the sites loose.  Also, if you keep those little plasic pieces that "plug" the site that is helpful too...as once sand gets on the site it makes it very difficult to hook the tubing back into the pump.

Most diabetics I know just take it off and then when they put it back on they bolus for the amount they didn't get while off........so if you basal is set at 1.0/hour, and you had it off for 1 hour, then give yourself a bolus of 1.0 units when you put it back on.

Have fun!!!  We start our vacation TOMORROW!!!!
avanessa22
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2007 at 2:27 AM

Quoting luvmygirls05:

I am sure this is late for your vacation ...but I have a MiniMed insulin pump (3yrs old)...I have went white water rafting and swiming with my pump...I just wrap it in some GLAD Press -N- Seal...I just make sure I seal it real well esp. around the tube that is coming out of the Glad wrap...I tuck it in my bathing suite top...usually stays drier than my bottoms...I check on it every so often and make sure it is dry inside the wrap(just by looking I do not unwrap). This has worked well for me and saves on the stickes from checking my bg every time I get out of the water. Hope this helps!! Michelle

Wow!!!! I have always wanted to go rafting but, just assumed that I could not because of the pump...kuddos to you for finding a way to do what you want!!!
Tatooedbeauty75
by Member on Aug. 29, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Quoting pauliebear:

I have the same pump and my educator swears it is waterproof.  I, however, never wear mine in the water due to increased activity levels and more possible lows.  Also, you can cover it with the veni-gard things that the company sends normally.  Make sure to definitely take more infusion sets!!!  Also, make sure and plug the site when the pump is not attached.  If the catheter is fairly new (1 day or so) I find it stays fine, but if it is toard the third day it is less sticky.

You can definitely bolus!!!
I have to agree with this person. I'd just disconnect it for the time you spend in the water. And definitely dont forget to bring extra supplies with you!! :) Have a wonderful time and tell us all about it when you get back!
Pamela<3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)