Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does bad kid always = bad parents?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

Found this article interesting.  Are bad kids born or created?

Does bad kid always = bad parents?
By Kristin Kalning

http://moms.today.com/_news/2011/05/26/6718771-does-bad-kid-always-bad-parents

When a kid acts up, who’s to blame? The kid, or the parents?

It’s a question as old as “why doesn’t he call?” and equally unanswerable. Or is it? TODAY experts Stacy Kaiser and Debra Shigley weigh in on kids behaving badly, and offer some tips.

Kaiser, a psychotherapist (and mom) from Los Angeles, contends that parents are responsible when their kids act like little monsters. Good parenting equals good kids, in other words.

Parents are totally to blame if their kid is a brat. It’s a combination: Good parents can curb even the most “spirited” child.
Strong-willed kids are born, not made. Let parents off the hook.

New mom Shigley, author of “The Go-Getter Girl’s Guide,” thinks kiddo conduct is a nature/nurture sandwich. Parents can provide the tools for good behavior, but children spring forth with their own little personalities. (And some of them are demonic.) She does note that while many parents are quick to take credit for their child's good behavior, whether good grades or even something like a baby sleeping through the night, they're less hasty about claiming responsibility for bad grades and tantrums.

One thing to remember, Kathie Lee points out: "No matter what you think, no one has perfect children."

What do you think? Can a strong-willed (and bratty) kid override even the best parenting? Or is it always the parents’ fault if a kid behaves badly?  Vote in our poll, and weigh in with your comments.

by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bamababe1975
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM
In some cases, I do think the parents are to blame, but not in all. I think there are some kids who just can't be "tamed."
BraythansMom
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM
I think the way the parents raise them always have some part in bad behavior. It may not be intentional either. Parents can try everything they know to do and still end up with an unruly child. Even if it just be sheltering to where the children aren't exposed to certain things and don't know how to deal with the situation...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraythansMom
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM
...also I want to add that it doesn't make them bad parents :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalJulianna
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM

No well sometimes. Cause if parents let them get away with everything. Then is the parents to blame. 

Liansmommie
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I think it depends on why the children display "bad" behavior. Bad parenting will nearly always result in bad behaving kids. Good parenting is often all typical kids need to behave better. However not all kids who are labeled as bad are typical and all the good parenting in the world isn't going to make them that way.

Meet me at  The Park Bench!

Are your kids having find this summer? Mine is!!

LivinDeadGurl
Starting a new job next month! So excited!
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
by Maranda on Jul. 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Quoting bamababe1975:

In some cases, I do think the parents are to blame, but not in all. I think there are some kids who just can't be "tamed."

Agreed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)